Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #1 
choob99

Trip to Thailand?

Not that I plan on doing it anytime soon, but has anyone ever been on a trip to Thailand and brought back bettas direct from the source? Anyone know what the restrictions would be or costs or anything like that? I woulnd't be doing it for at least a year anyway but just curious if anyone else here has ever done it?
choob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Bettas get shipped in every two weeks to the US.

Its too expensive to try.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:53 PM   #3 
VivaLaVeda

I wouldn't try it :/ kinda risky. I don't know if they'll even allow you to take the fish back? Unless you check in your luggage maybe.. And I'm pretty sure the airport workers aren't too gentle with luggage :/ and then your luggage will be thrown everywhere with the fish inside..idk. I wouldn't risk it.
VivaLaVeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:25 AM   #4 
choob99

Expense isn't the issue and i'm well aware that they get shipped in but would be a great place to visit, plus it would be fantastic to visit a few betta farms, and hand pick some beauties. Also to learn how they run their businesses. All about the experience thats why I asked the questions because I wanted to hear from ppl who have been there and actually KNOW the regulations and costs of bringing any back with you
Old 07-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #5 
TheCrabbyTabby

My dad was stationed in Thailand. He said it was hot, buggy, and humid. Not a place you'd want to go. That is, unless you don't mind humungous praying mantises eating mice in your bedroom. Cause that's what my dad had to go through.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:55 AM   #6 
Twilight Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrabbyTabby View Post
My dad was stationed in Thailand. He said it was hot, buggy, and humid. Not a place you'd want to go. That is, unless you don't mind humungous praying mantises eating mice in your bedroom. Cause that's what my dad had to go through.
I watch a cooking show based in Thailand and seeing some of the natural sites of the area appeals to me as well. I would LOVE to visit a few betta farms as well. I wouldn't bother to try to get the fish back myself either, since they do ship so often I would just see if I could buy them and have them ship them when I could receive them in the states. Other then that you would have to research the laws regarding if and how many bettas you could bring back with you on a trip on your personal self.

There is info out there too on the net on how to become a transhipper but it's a pain in the tookus. And there may not be a way to get around the transhipper part in the US. Hope someone who knows for sure can answer you :) Otherwise GL in your research!!! :)

Having mantis eat mice... well maybe I should import some of those mantis next time I have to move to a mouse infested building.... hmmmm. :) I like praying mantis. I already am dealing with hot muggy and buggy here! :D
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:06 AM   #7 
tanseattle

My brother works for the U.S. Border and Patrol at Airport inspecting most plane from Asia. I will ask him to see if he knows.

I believe you take home fishes it will go to the same procedure. They take fish into QT and inspect (I believe you have to come back with appointment for inspection and pickup) and you pay fee. They are cheap enough so should be no tax.
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #8 
choob99

I guess it wouldn't be so bad to just hand pick your fish and just have them shipped out on the normal shipment, so thats not a bad idea as well. Thailand seems beautiful and lots of thigns to see and do and adding in trips to a few betta farms makes it all the better! lol