Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #1 
LizzyP

Torn tail

I just came home from house sitting for a week leaving my fiance in charge of Dumbledore. Tonight I came home and Dumeblore's tail at the end looks stringy. He just recovered from a rip in his tail (I noticed it right before I left) and it fully healed. I'm going to try and get a good picture but for right now I have this one. I cupped him so I could vacuum his tank up and get a good look at it. Is this rot, or tail biting? I really hope it's neither and it just got caught or torn on a decoration. I did notice the artificial rock I had in there was half floating, half sitting on the bottom so he might've torn it on that or something.

Sorry it's grainy, crappy cellphone picture but I think you get the idea? Any suggestions as to what it could be?

Lizzy
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #2 
lvandert

it looks like tail noming to me. It will heal on its own but if you want to speed up the process get him some stress coat.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #3 
LizzyP

I added some stress coat in his water when I did a water change. UGH! I don't want a tail biter :( I took the rock out and planted the crap out of his tank with silk plants though. He seems to be happily swimming around. Haven't caught him biting.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #4 
lvandert

You never seem to. Good luck with him. sometimes they just don't like their big heavy tails
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

I think Ivandert is right. I don't think decorations can do this. Tail biters usually never get caught. :( Maybe he missed you? Or stress and boredom? You should find the cause because if you don't, there's a chance he'll never stop.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #6 
LizzyP

I think he missed me. I was gone for a whole week and when I came back he was like a puppy. Swimming like crazy, blowing me kisses, and just overall looked like he missed me. Sigh, I hate to leave him again but I start another house sitting job tomorrow and can't take him with me. :(
Old 07-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

He must have missed you then. I hope he doesn't start to tail bite again.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #8 
Miko Hayashi

My betta has a torn tail as well. It's not from tail biting though. I hope yours gets better!
Miko Hayashi is offline   Reply With Quote