Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #1 
misty1477

Question Best Betta Pellets ???

I have read soooo many posts about feeding our Betta-Buddies, I am getting confused.

I currently feed my guy TetraMin Plus (the one with shrimp) .... was a sample. He really loves this, but feeding him 'flakes' seems to make a mess in his tank.

I want to try pellets, but don't know what brand has the correct-good ingredients for him.

"Sparkle" loves to eat .... I feed him in the morning and in the evening. I put some flakes (why do they make them soooo big) in my hand and crush them up a little bit. Then I drop some into his tank and watch until he eats them...then drop some more and watch him....and on and on....until he either swims off to another area or starts spitting them out....he must be full at that point.

I have been turning off the filter while I feed him to keep flakes from moving away from him and ending up in the substrate or on his silk plants. This seems to work well.

Sorry...I am rambling....back to the betta pellets.......

I am not sure how the pellet portions compare to flake food. I figure if he 'chomps-down' the whole pellet(s) as I drop them in, his tank will stay cleaner....Is this correct? I don't think he lets the flakes fall to the bottom to save as a snack when I am not looking

Any suggestions/reviews/etc. is appreciated since my flake-sample is almost empty.
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets, New Life Spectrum Betta Formula, and Atison Betta Pro are Best. Don't get Hikari. They changed their Ingredients and now it's not good for Betta Fish. I'm getting New Life Spectrum Betta Formula for my Betta. Has good Ingredients and is the Only Good Brand I found on Ebay. Omega One is most common in Pet Stores I think.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #3 
Kenny G

I use Hikari new Betta Gold Baby. The micro pellets are perfect for betta's tiny mouths. Best of all it floats and does not cloud the water !!!!!! When I first got my betta Junior his color was a dull red and he was pretty active. But now his color is a vibrant red and he is very active. I think he needs meds to calm him down (Joking of course). I love to watch him jet around his tank. He's healthy, happy and getting plenty of exercise.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #4 
JagWired

Hikari Betta Bio-Gold. Or anything Hikari, really.
JagWired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #5 
kikitchi

My fish absolutely love Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets! And they actually do make your Betta's colours more vibrant ^^
kikitchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Can you Guys who have Hikari Pellets post your Ingredients? They changed the Ingredients, and now only the Old one is Best.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #7 
JagWired

Fish meal, wheat flour, soybean meal, rice bran, gluten meal, starch, krill meal, wheat germ meal, brewers dried yeast, DHA oil, spirulina, dried seaweed meal, DL-methionine, garlic, astaxanthin, grape seed extract, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (stabilized vitamin C), inositol, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, vitamin A oil, thiamine mononitrate, pyroxine hydrochloride, niacin, menadione sodium bisulfate complex (source of vitamin K), folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, disodium phosphate, ferrous sulfate, magnesium sulfate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, cobalt sulfate, calcium iodate, red 3 (artificial color).

I'm guessing that's the new product... On the flipside, it's the only thing he's not gotten digestive issues from. As far as I've experienced, Fizz is a bit special, diet-wise.
JagWired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #8 
Aus

It's probably not best to feed him until he's full, he could end up very bloated, especially on flakes.

This is why I like pellets. It's a more measured meal, and just a matter of estimating how many pellets per fish for the brand I have.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #9 
misty1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
It's probably not best to feed him until he's full, he could end up very bloated, especially on flakes.

This is why I like pellets. It's a more measured meal, and just a matter of estimating how many pellets per fish for the brand I have.
Aus....he never looks bloated....but I definitely don't want to overfeed him. That is one reason that I am interested in getting him pellets. It sure would be easier to determine how much he needs.

What's your take on pellet brands?
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #10 
tpocicat

I feed mine NLS betta and Attison's Betta Pro for pellets.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote