Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #1 
KcSaf

Unhappy Going on a trip, and Spider dilemma

I will be going on a week-long trip in a few days, i just got this beautiful crowntail male, who i have been obsessing over (but really, who could blame me? he's just so darn cute!) anyway, he is currently in a 1 gallon tank with a marimo moss ball and a silk plant. i have heard that betta fish can survive a few weeks without dying of hunger (which is good) so im not really worried too much about that, but i am about his water cleanliness. im not so sure i completely trust my family members to exchange his water, even though it isnt too hard. Please let me know if there is anything i can do to help him, thanks!

Also he is in conditioned tap water if that changes your opinion at all

On a completely unrelated note, or it might be i dont know. I have a 2-2.5 gallon tank which i realize would be a more suitable environment for my little guy, but there are rocks on the bottom of the bowl, followed by a HUGE dead spider, followed by more rocks on top. this ia a major dilema for me because i am a TOTAL arachnophobe, and am definetly not joking, obviously i would have to clean out the tank in order for Osore to live in it healthily, but i cant get past that spider. im not so sure my brother or dad would be willing to take time out of their day to help me sift through the rocks, because they spent so much time attempting for me to get over my fear (not going to happen), and my mom will definetly not do it, so im not quite sure what to do.

anything helps for either topic, thanks so much!
KcSaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:52 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

You can tell them to change the water 2x per week. 1 50% and 1 100%. That should keep the water clean. Remember to tell them to add conditioner. It's that or he's dead. O_O Prepare a To Do List for them. Keep the needs simple and not confusing.

I'm not sure about that spider thing,but IMO I wouldn't try. I mean a dead spider? Is it dusty? I mean the whole tank including the rocks and spider? I wouldn't try to clean that. You can try with bleach or vinegar and sun-dry, but to be on the sure side, I wouldn't try. Sorry. :( Can you get a Kritter Keeper? The biggest size is 6 gallons and I'm sure Oscore would be happy with that. :) It's really cheap and sturdy so if you can upgrade, try the KK! ;)

P.S. Oscore is a very unique name!!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #3 
WildFlower

I don't think Osore should not be fed for a week. Maybe you could ask one of you're family members to feed him for you? I personally think a week without a water change is okay if you're not comfortable with someone else cleaning the tank for you.
On the other hand, why did you not ask me to clean out the spider tank yesterday!?! I'm with you're Dad and Brother on this one, clean it out yourself because you missed you're opportunity for me to clean it out for you!
WildFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #4 
KcSaf

Because you said his tank size was fine!!!!!!! Thanks guys for the "constructive criticism" AHEM, WildFlower, hehe and yes LTB it is very dusty...Very, VERY dusty
Old 07-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #5 
LizzyP

Well if everything is dusty just dump everything in the trash except the tank. Take the tank fill it with 8 parts water 1 part bleach solution and scrub the snot out of it and stick it in the dishwasher (NO SOAP. NO NO NO SOAP) and run it twice. Take the tank and set it outside in the sunshine and let it dry. You'll need new gravel (obviously) and make sure you rinse that out really good when you take it out of the package. :)
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #6 
KcSaf

Thanks LizzyP that sounds really...clean XD. and for the 50% water change, should i only have them put half the amount of water conditioner in the water? cuz its only half the amount of water, or does it matter an awful lot if it is half or full amount? wow that sounded really confusing...hopefully you understand my random-jumbled-up-words.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #7 
LizzyP

Well, your current tank is 1 gallon, correct? To make things easy for my 1 gallon I just pretreat 1 gallon of water in an old water jug and pour in what I need. That way you don't under treat the water. Then, whatever you have left you can use for another 50% change or pour out, whichever you choose.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Should be half the dosage of your full tank. It won't hurt for a little extra but just so you don't waste conditioner.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:34 PM   #9 
KcSaf

This is probably not as ideal, but would it be ok doing one 100% water change in the middle of the week? it would be much easier for them, then as soon as i get home and take a nap, i can do another 100% water change by myself?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:44 PM   #10 
LizzyP

If the fish get fed everyday, they will produce waste everyday. In a 1 gallon tank I would highly suggest a 1 50% and 1 100%. What if you made the water ahead of time and all they would have to do is dump water out and add it? Then you won't have to worry about them not adding conditioner or anything. Just make 2 gallons of conditioned water and set them next to/near the tank so it'll be room temperature when they add it.