Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #1 
TamasO

Bent Spine/Undiagnosed Illness

Hello Helpful Healers,
I've had a blue betta for 8 months. I inherited him fully grown, and he was vibrant, healthy, and properly figured. He has recently developed a curved spine, a slight dim in color, and not as active/spends a fair amount of time up top (spinal shift is probably hindrance). I use Tetra AquaSafePlus for the water and do 75% on a spiral-lollipop shaped gallon tank weekly. When I first got him, I fed him pellets every day for 2 months, and he got swim bladder, so I did the pea cure and reduced feeding to every other day, and he hasn't gotten it since. And he still blows a bubble nest at the top, has appetite, and moves around a bit, but something else is wrong. I've done some investigating, but am not sure on a definitive illness. Based on this info, and the attached picture of him at rest, does anyone have an assessment?
Thank you in advance,
Tamas
Attached Images

TamasO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

I don't know what's wrong with him, but there is something. He's really thin. Can you post a picture of him from above the tank? He might be old already. They tend to have a crooked spine in old age. :/ Did you feed a whole pea to him? Peas are really bad if fed too much but it's OK if a small amount is given. It can hurt their digestive tract. Maybe that's why he's thin? I don't know anything else, sorry. :(
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #3 
TamasO

I fed him just a bit of pea. I read something else where underfeeding left a betta crooked, and he got better with feeding, so I'm going to boost the amount of food and hope that helps.
Thanks, Lebron.
TamasO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

I have a guy that seems to have a similar issue. His spine has slowly bent and he acts like he has swim bladder. I have tried epsom, furan 2, tetracycline, parasite meds and nothing worked. He has been like this for 2 months or so now

if he is eating but loosing weight/skinny try a medication for internal parasites.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote