Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #1 
SweetNightmare

Planted Tank Update

Click for full size pictures.

So, I went to my work and picked up some more moneywort, anacharis, bacopa, and water sprite, and ordered some cabomba from Mo, which other than one strand is blossoming marvelously. The extra stem feeders are really helping growth of plants and reducing growth of algae. :) Unfortunately my ghost shrimp seem to all be dead/gone. I didn't find bodies, though, so I guess Connor had himself a nice snack.

My naturally planted 2.5, finally blossoming now that it has some fast growing stem feeders. (Thanks to OldFishLady's advice!) The only reason he doesn't have a cave is because of his banana plant; the leaves curve together to make a little natural cave. :) I just bend the leaves under just slightly any time they start to straighten out, cause I like the look. This is home to Connor, the cambodian butterfly piebald crowntail.

The 10 gallon, recovering from an algae bloom. ((It's slowly disappearing thanks to OldFishLady's advice!)) Sorry for the glare, my phone camera's terrible. This is home to the blue (marble?) combtail(?) with a red mask, Sora. Along with his tankmates, six golden white cloud mountain minnows, four julii cories(or possibly three-line, hard to tell), and an assassin snail named Ezio to protect me from stray snail babies. ((I realize I'm a little over stocked, but I'm also heavily planted. I have three baby swords, an adult sword, looooots of stem feeders, and it's an npt, so fish waste=fertilizer.))
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

They look great!
I've wanted to do a soil-based NPT but I dread the idea of taking apart my tanks.
I got mostly floating plants in my large tanks anyway so I'm good for now... def something i would love to do in the future.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #3 
WildFlower

I'm new to natural planted tanks and am interested in learning more about them, so how often do you clean the tank? And do you have to use a filter and heater for them as well?
WildFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:10 AM   #4 
SweetNightmare

I use a filter simply because I am a little overstocked and I want to keep waste levels in check. However, it's not necessary, as the plants ideally act as the filter for ammonia, the act of which keeps nitrites and nitrates from forming at all. Heaters ARE still necessary, as many plants are comfortable in the same temp waters as our bettas. Right now I'm cleaning the tank about once a month, but mainly because a lot of my plants were wilting and leaving dead leaves on the floor of the tank. Up until the last month when I put in the appropriate lighting, I was still doing fifty percent water changes every week due to disappointing plant growth. Now I only siphon out enough to clean up the debris on the bottom to protect my little cories and top off what evaporates around the edge of my glass top. I need to get a turkey baster, really...
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:49 AM   #5 
WildFlower

Thanks for all the info! It's really interesting and I'm thinking the next tank I buy will be converted to a natural planted tank. :) Thanks again!
WildFlower is offline   Reply With Quote