Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2012, 06:36 AM   #1 
ojmccaf1963

New updated pic of my betta's digs!! Lol

Hi, I know I posted an earlier pic of my Betta Fish's bowl --- well here's a more updated photo of my Betta's digs!! Still haven't decided on a name and I've him since like May...I just call him "fishy"!! It's a tall glass vase, so he can swim around and go deep. Please note the little plant life I included and oh yeah the little castle ornament in the bottom ... Cost me $8 at Petsmart!! Yeeeeah, I know .... I spoiled my Fishy like he was a dog or cat!! lol

Owen
Attached Images

ojmccaf1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #2 
Gen2387

Very nice fish! I'm just gonna go ahead with a few constructive criticism here... Betta fish are tropical fish and for them to thrive and have a healthy immune system, they need to be in heated water. Best is between 76 and 80. A small glass vase doesn't hold heat very well and the water will always be a couple of degrees colder than the room he's in. There's also not a lot of space in that vase.
If you ever want to upgrade your tank so it's not too expensive, all petshops have kritter keepers and a 2 or 3 gallon is perfect for a betta. You can also get a heater for about 10 or 15$ and a thermometer (to check if the water isn't too hot or cold) is usually about 2 or 3 $. Food for thought.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #3 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen2387 View Post
Very nice fish! I'm just gonna go ahead with a few constructive criticism here... Betta fish are tropical fish and for them to thrive and have a healthy immune system, they need to be in heated water. Best is between 76 and 80. A small glass vase doesn't hold heat very well and the water will always be a couple of degrees colder than the room he's in. There's also not a lot of space in that vase.
If you ever want to upgrade your tank so it's not too expensive, all petshops have kritter keepers and a 2 or 3 gallon is perfect for a betta. You can also get a heater for about 10 or 15$ and a thermometer (to check if the water isn't too hot or cold) is usually about 2 or 3 $. Food for thought.
I agree. Were not trying to sound mean, just trying to help your little guy out :)

In cooler temperatures they're less active & more prone to disease & illness.

Let us know if you have any questions, Hun. He's a cute betta :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #4 
katrina89

If its warm where you live you may not need a heater right away... if you are going to keep him in a bowl bec thats just what you like then i recommend using a 2 gallon drum bowl.. itll be flatter on the side easier to see your little friend and way more swimming room bec there is horizontal space..a thermometer is like 2 bucks and can stick on the inside of this type of bowl bec there is a flat surface and u can always upgrade to a filter if you want... a filter isnt really neccessary
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #5 
MSG

My picture of what a spoiled betta looks like.

I think she looks happy.

MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #6 
katrina89

ps. really LOVE the castle... where'd u get it???
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #7 
ojmccaf1963

No you guys aren't being MEAN!!! I need the pointers!! Thanks :) lol I HAVE been thinking about upgrading to a small filtered tank, but some sales person at Petsmart told me that filtered tanks were bad for bettas?? Never thought about getting a theometer though. I do know that the water can't be too cold for the fish. Thanks for the tips and PLEASE keep them coming :) thanks.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #8 
ojmccaf1963

Castle $8 bucks at Petsmart!!! It's suppose to GLOW!!! lol Yep spoiling my little *guy* lol
Old 07-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojmccaf1963 View Post
No you guys aren't being MEAN!!! I need the pointers!! Thanks :) lol I HAVE been thinking about upgrading to a small filtered tank, but some sales person at Petsmart told me that filtered tanks were bad for bettas?? Never thought about getting a theometer though. I do know that the water can't be too cold for the fish. Thanks for the tips and PLEASE keep them coming :) thanks.
There is a myth out there that Bettas like to have small living spaces and that it's OK for them to spend their lives in these small environments. The person at Petsmart probably is not a very experienced aquarist otherwise he or she would not have told you that. When I began my "affair" with Bettas I believed that Bettas didn't need much, I believed all the hoopla that most people believe. I have since found out differently & am a firm believer that Bettas should be given as much space to live in as possible, with a minimum being a 5g tank. They like to have horonzital swimming space rather than vertical. Bettas do fine with a filtered tank especially if the tank is set up appropriately & the tank is the correct size. I saw a HUGE difference in the behavior of my Bettas when they were moved from 1g bowls to 10g filtered tanks. Please think about it, I know tons of people think differently than me when it comes to Bettas. I use the analogy, how would you like to be confined to 6' x 6' room for life? You would live but you wouldn't thrive.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #10 
ojmccaf1963

hmmm interesting view :)