Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #1 
Rosska

Colour change and listlessness.

Hello,

Around 10 days ago my boyfriend bought a betta and a kuhli loach for his 3.3gal tank. (I told him not to buy both at once but apparently that went out the window hdfgjldfg). Anyway, over the past couple of days his betta has been becoming quite listless. He seems to just sit in the one place and takes no interest in eating. His colour has also changed, as you can see here:

Last week:

Today:

I'm sorry the photos aren't of the best quality, but he doesn't have a decent camera. Unfortunately, we're long-distance so I'm unable to have a good, close look for myself but I can see the fish is stressed out so I've told him to do bigger water changes to make sure the water quality is good, and to keep an eye on the wee guy. Is that right? Is there anything else I should be doing?

Thank you very much for reading. Both me and him would be very grateful for any advice you might have!

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?: 3.3gal
What temperature is your tank?: 24C
Does your tank have a filter?: Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? : No
Is your tank heated?: Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?: One kuhli loach.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?: Tetramin
How often do you feed your betta fish?: Once every two days.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?: Every day.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?: 10%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?: Stress coat.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
(He has no idea, sorry.)

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?: Gone from bright blue-ish to a duller looking half blue, half red.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?: He tends to float the majority of the time, only coming up for air. He used to be quite active.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?: A couple of days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?: N/A
Does your fish have any history of being ill?: Unsure, just recently bought.
How old is your fish (approximately)?: Unsure.

Last edited by Rosska; 07-27-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Rosska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yeah that tank is not big enough for both and I would feed him everyday Betta pellets, two or three twice a day, I have never heard of the food you are feeding him now. I bet he is stressed is why he is losing his color, he needs a tank all to himself and warm clean conditioned water, the temp should be at least 78 degrees.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #3 
Rosska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Yeah that tank is not big enough for both and I would feed him everyday Betta pellets, two or three twice a day, I have never heard of the food you are feeding him now. I bet he is stressed is why he is losing his color, he needs a tank all to himself and warm clean conditioned water, the temp should be at least 78 degrees.
I did try telling him that, but he's quite impulsive sometimes. I have a 3gal tank which I can offer him, so they should at least have space to themselves. Either that or I could try and convince him to donate his loach to me for my 18gal. I love those guys, haha.

I've not heard of the food he uses either. I recommended TetraPRO colour to him as it has worked very well for me, but again, he tends to disregard my advice. I will work on convincing him to change how often he feeds him, and to feed him pellets instead.

The water is 75F/24C already, so that should be warm enough.

Thank you for your advice!
Old 07-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #4 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Your very welcome I hope it works out that he listens to his smart girlfriend !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #5 
lvandert

Yeah remove the loach. Also get him on a better changing schedule. 50% and 100% water changes once a week. The correct food is also a essential thing. As long as its fortified for bettas thats all we can really ask. Is there anything else in the tank? A snail? shrimp?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #6 
Rosska

Thank you for your input, Ivandert!

I'm trying to convince him to part with the loach, but he seems more insistent on removing the betta instead. I'll probably end up with it at some point, judging by the way he's acting about it.

I've convinced him to up his schedule for water changes, too. I told him 10% a day wasn't enough and his exact words were "what?!". I also googled the feed and it should be suitable. <:

And there are no shrimp or snails, just the two fish!~
Old 07-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #7 
lvandert

sweet. Saddly even the loach in there by himself wont be happy. their social fishies and like others of their kind around and for that you need a ten gallon. you can attempt to sway him with the wiki links here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuhli_Loach http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Acant...us_kuhli_kuhli
Old 07-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #8 
Rosska

I know >: I told him a loach really wasn't suitable for such a small tank, and that it was happiest in bigger groups. I told him what was and was not suitable for such a small tank right before he went into the store, but he was adamant that he didn't mind if it hid most of the time and that "...They don't grow that big. We had one before and...", etc etc.

I love him, but he can be so stubborn sometimes. I've given him the links, I just pray he decides to get a bigger tank, or at least rehome the loach.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #9 
lvandert

bf's are butts sometimes.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #10 
Rosska

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
bf's are butts sometimes.
I know ;__;

Unfortunately, Sam (his betta) died a little while ago. I feel really guilty, but it's difficult to have any real effect when I'm 400 miles away.

I guess it's taught me not to be so lenient on my boyfriend. If I had been more persusive on my advice to him, the poor wee guy could have still been alive.

Thank you for all your advice though. With all the water changes and new pellet food, he was starting to get his shiny blue colour back. But I guess it was just too much for him.

Thanks again,
Rosska.