Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #1 
kjwarren103

My betta fish won't eat :(

I got my betta about a week ago. He didn't eat his pellets for about two to three days, so I got worried, and I fed him a freeze dried blood worm. Well now I realize that was a mistake, because I'm trying to get him on pellets again and he hasn't eaten for three days . I'm worried and I don't know what to do. I mean its not because he's depressed or anything.... he's built a huge bubble nest on the side of the aquarium. But how long can a betta go without eating? Is there anything I can do to get him to eat his pellets?
kjwarren103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #2 
toad

A betta can go for 2 weeks or more without eating; it's very common for new bettas not to eat for a week or 2 when you first bring them home. After he adjusts to his surroundings, he will eat :)

He may also not be used to getting pellets; some stores feed their fish with only flakes. Keep trying to feed him every day, using only 1 pellet, and if he eats it, give him another. Eventually, he will eat.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #3 
kjwarren103

Oh okay! I read somewhere that they can only go four days without eating and I was worried.... thank you! :)
Old 07-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #4 
lelei

Hello and Welcome, what kind of pellets are you feeding your fishy? Betta's are very picky eaters, and the pellets should be small enough for thier lil mouths, try the Omega One pellets, or Hakair Gold micro pellets, or the NewLife Spectrum pellets, I hear those are the better of the 3 but something with more flavor, If you are using the Wardley, most betta's don't prefer those ones..I hope you find something that your fishy likes..:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #5 
kjwarren103

Hmm do you know of any cheap pellets that bettas like? I got my betta at walmart and one of the only pellets I saw were TetraBetta floating mini pellets with color enhancers, so I got those.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

New Life Spectrum is a great one my Betta loves them and the pellets are tiny. My local pet shop doesnt have them I had to order mine from Amazon but places like Petco has them I think. Anyway good luck at getting him to eat I am sure he will soon. Some crash the pellets and get their Betta to eat them that way if they seem to big for him you could try that.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #7 
kjwarren103

Okay thank you, I'll try that. I tried soaking them but he didn't eat them and they just ended floating to the bottom quicker...
Old 07-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #8 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjwarren103 View Post
Hmm do you know of any cheap pellets that bettas like? I got my betta at walmart and one of the only pellets I saw were TetraBetta floating mini pellets with color enhancers, so I got those.

Hmm, I don't ~when I saw that my betta didn't like the Wardley, I went for the Hakari Gold, and both my lil guys been eating them ever since..Can you get to a Petco, the ones I have lasted for one fish about 2-months, and it was a small pkg, about 4$ I will show you what they look likethis lil pkg lasts one fish, for 2 months
Old 07-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #9 
lelei

And they don't sink..they float..less mess in the tank:)
Old 07-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

I agree with NLS pellets. Hikari Bio-Gold changed their ingredients and now the ingredients are just full of cheap fillers. I bought mine at eBay but I've heard that it can be in Petco.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote