Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #1 
purpleBETTAS

Exclamation EMERGENCY... please help. ):

Housing
What size is your tank? 0.9 US gal
What temperature is your tank? the room temp is roughly 24 to 25 degrees celsius. I do not know the water temp.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? It just has a breathing hole in the top
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? He lives alone

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Frozen Blood Worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I've changed it once since getting him, which was a few days ago. Now I know your not supposed to change it often but I had to do this change because of tissue particles being in the water.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? roughly 60%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I add in Nutrafin Betta Plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Yes (acts scared)
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No He is just a baby
How old is your fish (approximately)? roughly 5 months

I recently performed a water change on my betta's tank. The next day he was acting scared of me and also two white small lumps appeared on his body.

I don't know what is wrong with him, I haven't even gotten to give him a name yet since i practically just got him.

I hope I haven't made him sick. But I don't know what to do.

Please help...

one of the bumps in on his head, while the other lines where his fin meets his back on the top of him.

I really dont want him to die, he is just a baby

p.s. : neither of these bumps were present yesterday
Attached Images

Last edited by purpleBETTAS; 07-27-2012 at 04:00 PM.
purpleBETTAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #2 
lvandert

ok first off with a .9 gallon container you NEED to change the water at least 50% every day or 100% every other day. "a breathing hole at the top" doesn't sound very big, exactly what do you have him in?

As for the bumps they could be injuries from the water change (running into things after being stressed) or they could be fungus or ich setting in from poor water conditions. I would get on those water changes and see how he is in 5 days
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #3 
purpleBETTAS

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
ok first off with a .9 gallon container you NEED to change the water at least 50% every day or 100% every other day. "a breathing hole at the top" doesn't sound very big, exactly what do you have him in?

As for the bumps they could be injuries from the water change (running into things after being stressed) or they could be fungus or ich setting in from poor water conditions. I would get on those water changes and see how he is in 5 days

I was told that changing the water everyday is dangerous and can harm the fish. Also he is acting different today. He is hiding a lot and does not seem to be moving around too much. Here is a picture of his tank.

I don't want to do another water change unless you are sure what your talking about. I do want more opinions of course. But I know that I have been told by many people the water change only needs to be once a week.
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #4 
Bettanewbie60

You should ask Oldfishlady...she knows everything. My own opinion is he needs a bigger tank, at least a gallon, a thermometer so you know the exact temp. Oh, and are you adding water conditioner to the water you add for changes. You can't use just tap or bottled water for them, they can get very sick.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #5 
purpleBETTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
You should ask Oldfishlady...she knows everything. My own opinion is he needs a bigger tank, at least a gallon, a thermometer so you know the exact temp. Oh, and are you adding water conditioner to the water you add for changes. You can't use just tap or bottled water for them, they can get very sick.
Yes I do use a water conditioner, the specific name is in my first post. I dont exactly have the space for a gallon tank. Betta fish can live in bowl type aquariums and thrive as well. I just dont get why his behaviour has changed and why these bumps have appeared.

and thanks i will ask Oldfishlady for help too .
Old 07-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

While that size isn't ideal-you can make it work.

I would recommend 3 weekly water changes-2-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality.

First you need a thermometer to check the water temp, you may or may not need a heater, however, it may be difficult to safely heat that size. You can place it in the warmest place in the house and use a lamp if needed-Its not ideal and a healthy Betta can generally tolerate lower than ideal temps and the temp swings....But your Betta isn't acting right and that might be the problem....

Since he is new-how many days have you had him, is he eating, tell me about your water changes.
Right now-check the temp and make a 50% water change using double dose dechlorinator and give him time to adapt.

If you have a tannin source-either IAL or dried Oak leaf add some to the tank and to the replacement water used for water changes.
You need a more varied diet-will he not eat pellets?-If you have access to mosquito larva offer several rinsed once a day to improve nutrition.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #7 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleBETTAS View Post
Yes I do use a water conditioner, the specific name is in my first post. I dont exactly have the space for a gallon tank. Betta fish can live in bowl type aquariums and thrive as well. I just dont get why his behaviour has changed and why these bumps have appeared.

and thanks i will ask Oldfishlady for help too .
Yeah sorry, I reread your post after I posted and read about the water conditioner. My Bella is in a one gallon bowl, and it is pretty small. I hope Oldfishlady can help you out, and that your betta starts feeling well again!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #8 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleBETTAS View Post
I was told that changing the water everyday is dangerous and can harm the fish. Also he is acting different today. He is hiding a lot and does not seem to be moving around too much. Here is a picture of his tank.

I don't want to do another water change unless you are sure what your talking about. I do want more opinions of course. But I know that I have been told by many people the water change only needs to be once a week.
Who told you this? Changing the water our daily when you have a sick fish is sometimes essential. especially when dealing with ammonia burn. For a 1 gallon we recommend more than one water change a week, and you have under a one gallon.

This could be taken the wrong way "I don't want to do another water change unless you are sure what your talking about." You came here asking for help and implying I don't know what I'm talking about, when I was trying to help you. I wouldn't lead you astray when you have a sick fish
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #9 
purpleBETTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
While that size isn't ideal-you can make it work.

I would recommend 3 weekly water changes-2-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality.

First you need a thermometer to check the water temp, you may or may not need a heater, however, it may be difficult to safely heat that size. You can place it in the warmest place in the house and use a lamp if needed-Its not ideal and a healthy Betta can generally tolerate lower than ideal temps and the temp swings....But your Betta isn't acting right and that might be the problem....

Since he is new-how many days have you had him, is he eating, tell me about your water changes.
Right now-check the temp and make a 50% water change using double dose dechlorinator and give him time to adapt.

If you have a tannin source-either IAL or dried Oak leaf add some to the tank and to the replacement water used for water changes.
You need a more varied diet-will he not eat pellets?-If you have access to mosquito larva offer several rinsed once a day to improve nutrition.

Well... I just changed his water yesterday, then today is when these bumps appeared. I fear I may of hurt him and now he hates me or something. He is so afraid of me it makes me upset. Yesterday before the water change he was fine. but today he makes me worry. and so far I have had him for just about three days. and I just fed him about an hour and a half ago and he ate normally. would you recommend I get some pellets for him? and when you say dried oak leaf. do you mean take a dried one and crumple some pieces into the tank?

also I could get something to test the water temp, and i do have a lamp that gives off enough heat that would heat up his water. honestly i think I might of hurt him during the water change, im very new to this and it might of been during the transfer back to his bowl that it happened im not sure. But I know because he could possibly be sick i should do frequent water changes.

Last edited by purpleBETTAS; 07-27-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #10 
purpleBETTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
Yeah sorry, I reread your post after I posted and read about the water conditioner. My Bella is in a one gallon bowl, and it is pretty small. I hope Oldfishlady can help you out, and that your betta starts feeling well again!

Yes its ok no problem, every one makes mistakes (: and yes she did send a reply to the thread thankfully. i am probably going to have to do another water change incase he is ill. and thank you for the support this hole thing is stressing me out a lot ):

Tags
emergency, sick, spot, white