Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #21 
purpleBETTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Storm View Post
Just to add-

You can make things a little less messy if you wish, by adding the leaves to an empty tea bag. That way you don't get shmutz all over the place. Then let this sit in your gallon jug. and in his tank. You could also just toss in a whole leaf without crushing. It will water log and sink eventually.

Before you use the leaves rinse them a little if you live in an area that could have been sprayed with pesticides or peed on by dogs etc. (excuse me being blunt.)

I personally never used oak leaves yet due to the area I live in, I use indian almond leaves, but if any of the info I just gave above is different with oak please please correct me!

Love his little white mouth btw :)

thank you, he really is beautiful i love his white lips too (: he is so cute, i dont want to loose him.
but thank you for the tips. i will fetch some leaves tomorrow and would adding them to an empty tea bag be ok? he would not try and eat the bag would he? because if he wont i think i might use that method just so he doesnt eat the oak leaves thinking its food floating around.

also to Oldfishlady i just completed the 50% water change with extra water dose of my water purifier. then i dimmed all lights very low (twilight hours). he is actually acting better personality wise and he has always been swimming fine this entire time. he is swimming around and not hiding. I also took his fake rock with fake plants and sanded every sharp edge i could feel down. I also rinsed it very throughly to make sure all the grains were off.

tomorrow i am going to pick up all supplies and start his ten day treatment. if anyone has any hunces on what he has got I am all ears, and i am very grateful for all this help. You guys and gals are amazing !

also what else could i feed him aside from the mosquito larva (just because i really have no idea where i could find some)

Last edited by purpleBETTAS; 07-27-2012 at 09:03 PM.
purpleBETTAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #22 
lvandert

you should be able to get them in the frozen food section (like where they have the frozen mice and what not for snakes). If they don't have those they should have frozen blood worms, or brine shrimp. All make good treats.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #23 
Twilight Storm

He shouldn't try to eat the tea bag of oak leaves. But each fish has a different personality, you never know until you try. :) Even if he did, I don't think he could do any damage to it.

BTW- If you use a tea bag that had tea in it. You probably should make sure that it didn't have any whacky flavors in it first such as cinnamon, vanilla, etc. I don't know if that would be dangerous or not to him. Also if the staple in the bag is sharp after removing the green tea or whatever, toss the staple and just tie off the bag with the string. (remove the paper flap that comes on some bags)

You can also soak leaves in a cup of dechlorinated water and make a concentrate and not have to worry at all about tea bags, but more constant leaching into the water might be more along the lines of what OFL was wanting you to do.

BTW- Ivandert, I kept seeing your bunny in your avatar, hope your boyfriend loves him :D I kept getting distracted.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #24 
lvandert

Quote:
BTW- Ivandert, I kept seeing your bunny in your avatar, hope your boyfriend loves him :D I kept getting distracted.
lol oh I spent half the day watching those two. The bunny would come out and run around and then my bf would scoop him up and nuzzle him for a bit until he gets squirmy.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #25 
purpleBETTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
you should be able to get them in the frozen food section (like where they have the frozen mice and what not for snakes). If they don't have those they should have frozen blood worms, or brine shrimp. All make good treats.

Ok that sounds good i will check it out at the pet shop later today, im not going to perform the next water change until the evening. Currently the past three days ive had him ive been feeding him frozen blood worms. Do you think I should continue that, or get him something else. ?
Old 07-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #26 
purpleBETTAS

Quote:
He shouldn't try to eat the tea bag of oak leaves. But each fish has a different personality, you never know until you try. :) Even if he did, I don't think he could do any damage to it.

BTW- If you use a tea bag that had tea in it. You probably should make sure that it didn't have any whacky flavors in it first such as cinnamon, vanilla, etc. I don't know if that would be dangerous or not to him. Also if the staple in the bag is sharp after removing the green tea or whatever, toss the staple and just tie off the bag with the string. (remove the paper flap that comes on some bags)

You can also soak leaves in a cup of dechlorinated water and make a concentrate and not have to worry at all about tea bags, but more constant leaching into the water might be more along the lines of what OFL was wanting you to do.

thank you for the tips, ill have to do that with the tea bags then, ill ask if they are plain too so there is no intense flavours . ummm but yess i think OFL wants that soaking all day thing your right (: but the other option is a good idea too (: ..

Ive decided to name my fish Trooper..
Old 07-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #27 
purpleBETTAS

So far this morning his behaviour has changed, he is more actively swimming around in his bowl instead of swimming and hiding only coming up for air when he needed it.

Though i have not seen an improvement with the white puss like bumps on his back... ):
Old 07-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #28 
purpleBETTAS

Exclamation UPDATE. Please check out these pictures..

So this morning his behaviour is better but Trooper's body still has something wrong with it.

what do you guys think???
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #29 
Oldfishlady

Look up Lymphocystis and see if those pics look like what he has-if it is-no treatment since its a virus- except to prevent a secondary infection and the current treatment will do that...I can't tell by the pic-but if the wound is oozing let it and keep up with the daily 50% with the premixed treatment water and good nutrition.

Look around outside for some standing water-using a brine shrimp net or fine mesh net collect the critters-mosquito larva, daphnia, black fly larva etc...give them a good rinse under running water-then place them in a small container of dechlorinated water-then feed to the Betta. The more natural/high nutrient food can help boost immune response.

Hopefully its not Flex, but if it is the treatment that I gave you will work on that too-except you want to use higher dose of salt 3tsp/gal...

Good that his behavior has improved...Did he have an injury of some type or did the wounds just show up one day. Can you see anything sticking out of them-like a parasite-but since he isn't flashing I don't think that is what it is...but you never know....It hard to Dx when the fish isn't right in front of you...Pretty fella by the way....I hope we can get him through this
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #30 
purpleBETTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Look up Lymphocystis and see if those pics look like what he has-if it is-no treatment since its a virus- except to prevent a secondary infection and the current treatment will do that...I can't tell by the pic-but if the wound is oozing let it and keep up with the daily 50% with the premixed treatment water and good nutrition.

Look around outside for some standing water-using a brine shrimp net or fine mesh net collect the critters-mosquito larva, daphnia, black fly larva etc...give them a good rinse under running water-then place them in a small container of dechlorinated water-then feed to the Betta. The more natural/high nutrient food can help boost immune response.

Hopefully its not Flex, but if it is the treatment that I gave you will work on that too-except you want to use higher dose of salt 3tsp/gal...

Good that his behavior has improved...Did he have an injury of some type or did the wounds just show up one day. Can you see anything sticking out of them-like a parasite-but since he isn't flashing I don't think that is what it is...but you never know....It hard to Dx when the fish isn't right in front of you...Pretty fella by the way....I hope we can get him through this

Thanks (: he is a reall looker :P

Its hard to tell I looked up photos of lumphocystis and what people have describe it doesn't exactly look like that. but more of the fuzzy description i have seen while researching flex. but then again flex is said to cover most of the body and these spots are small on my fish.

I wonder should i be worrying about spreading Trooper's infection to my family? considering I do have a dog and a young nephew that I am worried about because they are both young.

If i am abel to save him, what are the risks of the infection reoccurring?

and i will try to find the larva but there arent very many bodies of water where they would lay their eggs around my house. but i do want to feed him something more nutritious...

also should of be sterilizing his rocks and fake plants ?

Tags
emergency, sick, spot, white