Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #31 
Oldfishlady

As long as none of the family are immune compromised the chances of catching anything from the tank/fish is rare, however, it is always good practice to always wash your hand before and after working with aquariums as a general rule...but that is with anything......

Most of the bacteria/pathogens are always in the tank and its the immune response that keep it from becoming pathogenic or problematic. No amount of cleaning, sterilizing will keep it at bay for very long since these things are ever present-plus you have both good and bad and by trying to kill all the bad you are killing the good that help to keep the bad controlled...The all important balance....

Too clean can often be as bad as too dirty-it is hard to support life in too clean and sterile environments as well as the ability to build antibodies to fight the battle on its own. The balance.....

With fish/aquarium you have to treat the closed system as a whole by giving the fish the tools to support their immune response-that being-low stress, water quality, proper temps, stable chemistry and good nutrition to name a few....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #32 
purpleBETTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
As long as none of the family are immune compromised the chances of catching anything from the tank/fish is rare, however, it is always good practice to always wash your hand before and after working with aquariums as a general rule...but that is with anything......

Most of the bacteria/pathogens are always in the tank and its the immune response that keep it from becoming pathogenic or problematic. No amount of cleaning, sterilizing will keep it at bay for very long since these things are ever present-plus you have both good and bad and by trying to kill all the bad you are killing the good that help to keep the bad controlled...The all important balance....

Too clean can often be as bad as too dirty-it is hard to support life in too clean and sterile environments as well as the ability to build antibodies to fight the battle on its own. The balance.....

With fish/aquarium you have to treat the closed system as a whole by giving the fish the tools to support their immune response-that being-low stress, water quality, proper temps, stable chemistry and good nutrition to name a few....

Right that all makes sense, and thank you for the information. I actually just got home from the pet shop, I bought a thermometer. Which is telling me the tank temp is 24C. and I bought aquarium salt as well. After which I went out and found some oak leaves. They are drying out outside right now. After which ill get everything ready for day one of his treatment.
purpleBETTAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #33 
purpleBETTAS

Question A question...

So... I just completed day one of treatment. Now my question is, because the bits of oak leaves that are currently in the water. Should I be worried that there will be too much in the water? or tomorrow should i just progress with day two of the treatment and what ever leaf pieces come out, come out, and what is left in stays in. Or should I attempt to get every leaf out before the new batch of the treatment water goes in tomorrow?

thanks for all the help everyone.

p.s. He tried eating a bit of the leaves, is that ok?
Old 07-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #34 
Oldfishlady

I leave the leaf bits...never seemed to be a problem and they will continue to leach tannins. The Betta will feed on the microorganisms that are on them and use them for cover to help feel more secure....
Old 07-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #35 
purpleBETTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I leave the leaf bits...never seemed to be a problem and they will continue to leach tannins. The Betta will feed on the microorganisms that are on them and use them for cover to help feel more secure....

Aok Thank you . . :3

p.s. This morning I noticed a small improvement in the bump that is closest to the top of his head :)
Old 07-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #36 
Oldfishlady

Great....keep us posted....

Tags
emergency, sick, spot, white