Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #1 
Atena

might this help?

So I made this single page flyer, I wanted to run it by all of you to see what you think.

My goal is to have to hand to LPS managers and employees, to help educate them about betta care. I figure it is not their fault they don't know any better, and the employees generally do care about the animals so they would want to make sure they are giving good advice. I complied mostly on information I have learned here so I refer to the this forum in several points on the flyer.

Please let me know what you think.

http://atenakomar.com/betta-care-basics.pdf

Atena :)
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #2 
kfish

There are a few typos (spelling freak!) but I think it has good information and is a good idea. :)
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #3 
littlemermaid

That is fantastic and a great idea! It seems there is so much bad and conflicting information on Betta's out there, the lid of my newest rescue wrongly suggested I feed him only twice a week! It would be great to have these hanging in pet stores for customers and employees. I did notice one typo (sorry I'm an English teacher) In the hiding spots section you have fell, I think you meant feel. Great job!
littlemermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #4 
kfish

A few corrections, excluding capitalization issues. I don't mean to be picky! I'm sorry if I seem rude. I just want this to have a lot of credibility because it's such important information and I would love to see it in the hands of future betta owners and store employees everywhere.

Introduction:
patties = paddies

Heater section:
betta's = bettas

Hiding spots section:
fell = feel

Water changes section:
parameter = parameters
more frequent = more frequently

Testing Water section:
batta = betta
hight = high

Side section:
Its a living animal = It's a living animal

Asterisk note:
betafish.com = bettafish.com (don't wanna get that wrong! ;) )

Ending:
knowlagable = knowledgeable

PH should always be pH (unless at the front of a sentence, of course).
Old 06-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #5 
lelei

In regards to the hiding spots, are you referring to the plants, you mentioned caves, yes, they have sharp edges as well, but I am not sure if you mean plants that will rip the fins ..other than that..I love it, and I hope it will help..one thing tho, when we get something in a hurry, that is a lot of information, is there a way to somewhat break it down, in 5 major points to emphasize the 1st 5 things to know when purchasing a betta..how does that sound..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #6 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
In regards to the hiding spots, are you referring to the plants, you mentioned caves, yes, they have sharp edges as well, but I am not sure if you mean plants that will rip the fins ..other than that..I love it, and I hope it will help..one thing tho, when we get something in a hurry, that is a lot of information, is there a way to somewhat break it down, in 5 major points to emphasize the 1st 5 things to know when purchasing a betta..how does that sound..
I've thought about that, and every time I try it's like there are a million things to add! Haha. But I can be pretty long-winded. :P

Let's see... basic betta care necessities and information:
1. Warm water (between 78 and 84 degrees Fahrenheit), maintained with a heater and verified with a thermometer.

2. Clean water.
- In tanks above 5 gallons, 1 50% water change weekly, with gravel vacuuming.
- In tanks 2.5 gallons to 5 gallons, 1 50% change, 1 100% change weekly or 4 50% changes weekly.

Tanks smaller than 2.5 gallons ARE NOT recommended.

Note: Every tank is different. The only way to verify that these are effective schedules is to test the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate concentrations of the water with a liquid test kit.

3. Places to hide. This includes silk plants and smooth caves. Betta fins are delicate, so be sure decorations are soft enough to not rip fins.

4. Access to air. Bettas breathe air from just above the surface of the water. Make sure they have access to the surface of water and adequate air supply above the water. Bettas will drown without access to surface air.

5. Bettas jump. Make sure your tank has a lid.

AHHH I WANT TO ADD MORE. Like that they hate current!
Old 06-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #7 
Atena

Thanks for the corrections, I will make those and upload a new version.

I will make a second one that is shorter meant for customers, this one was really meant for the employees who have time to read it.

I will post them here as soon as they are done. :)
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #8 
lelei

I just don't wanna confuse people with the water chemistry..as a newbie to this..that is the one thing I wanted to avoid..so I would not even purchase a betta or a fish in general or worry to much to even think of water parameters..that can come in a side section of How to test water for the Health of the fish..
but just say
1. Tank, 2 gal or more.
2. Heater (Betta's are tropical fish)
3. Thermometer (to watch for flucuations in temp)
4. Decor..for hiding and rest, plants, and caves..Please watch out for sharp points..
5. Filter, if you purchase a tank 2 gal or higher, they may be included..
then say why these are needed..to further explain these necessities..how would that work??
Underneath put..Bowls are not adequate housing for Betta's!!
Old 06-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #9 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
I just don't wanna confuse people with the water chemistry..as a newbie to this..that is the one thing I wanted to avoid..so I would not even purchase a betta or a fish in general or worry to much to even think of water parameters..that can come in a side section of How to test water for the Health of the fish..
but just say
1. Tank, 2 gal or more.
2. Heater (Betta's are tropical fish)
3. Thermometer (to watch for flucuations in temp)
4. Decor..for hiding and rest, plants, and caves..Please watch out for sharp points..
5. Filter, if you purchase a tank 2 gal or higher, they may be included..
then say why these are needed..to further explain these necessities..how would that work??
Underneath put..Bowls are not adequate housing for Betta's!!
Yeah... + something about clean water, though! Even if it's just as simple as possible.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #10 
lelei

Well then you can add the fact that the 2 gal or more has to maintain clean water and add and here's how..then do a 5 step process to water basics..and chemistry..like "Clean water means a healthier fish!!!
and say,..Clean and warm water is vital to fish health..something along those lines..and then say
How to change water..and look for water that is Healthy for your fish..keep emphasizing "Healthy"