Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #21 
toad

Here's mine:

Quote:
An inhumane contraption,
07/27/2012
The fact that this product is being marketed as an animal habitat is shocking and concerning, to say the least. There is not a single species of fish that can thrive in less than a gallon of water. Fish are made to swim, not hover in a few ounces of liquid.
That water, by the way, will quickly turn to poison, as the ammonia from the fish waste builds up, burning the gills and fins of the animal. Like any other pet, fish need exercise and stimulation. Being trapped in a tube, in which they cannot even turn around comfortably, will make for a short and miserable existence for any animal. Betta fish are labrynth breathers; this means that they breathe air from the surface of the water. From the picture of the lamp, I can see very little, if any, airspace from which a fish could breathe safely.
Children should not be taught to think of animals as playthings and decorations. They are living, feeling creatures, and should be treated with respect and compassion. Just as you would not keep a pony in a cat carrier, you should not keep a fish inside a lamp.
*sigh* When I was a kid, regular lava-filled lava lamps were cool enough! We didn't need to go stuffing animals into them.

Last edited by toad; 07-27-2012 at 10:44 PM.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #22 
Greylady

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Write to the company Hawkeye, International
cservice@hawkeyeaquarium.com
Cause for concern..let them know..I am doing a letter right now!!
Thanks for the link, I just sent them an email. I didn't think to cut and paste my review on the website either but it was titled "Death Trap" and pretty much said the same thing as everyone else has said.

UPDATE: Well apparently a lot of people have sent emails, I just recieved notification from my email provider that the recipients email was full. Hmm...... I'll try to send it again tomorrow and continue until it goes through.

Last edited by Greylady; 07-27-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Greylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #23 
BettaQi

I posted a one star review and will go back and agree with all the other negative reviews.

Thank you for alerting us to this situation!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #24 
toad

And, my letter to the company that makes it:

Quote:
Hello!

I am writing to your company because one of your products has recently come to my attention: the lava lamp fish container. Walmart has this product listed on their website as being a .42 gallon container. The size of the container is enough to cause concern, but in addition, the shape of the product is unsuitable for an animal habitat.

The small volume of water in the lava lamp will quickly become toxic from the ammonia produced by the fish; this ammonia will burn and damage the skin, fins and gills of the animal. A container of this size would need to have the water changed completely, every single day, to maintain safe ammonia levels for the fish. But, even with daily water changes, the container is simply too small to allow the animals to move comfortably. Like all pets, fish need exercise and stimulation to be healthy.

Another concerning aspect of this product is that it seems to be marketed mainly for betta fish. The betta fish, or Siamese fighting fish, is a tropical fish from Thailand. These animals are naturally found in water systems called rice paddies, which have varying depths and span several acres of land area. Rice paddies are much like swamps, and to compare these water systems to a mud puddle is laughable. As the fish are tropical, they need to have a stable temperature of 78-80 degrees, in order to thrive. An interesting feature of the betta fish is the labrynth organ they possess. This organ enables to fish to breathe air from the surface of the water, and allows the fish to live in water with low oxygen levels. But, from the pictures of the lava lamp container, it appears that there is very little, if any, airspace from which the fish could breathe safely and comfortably.

Children should not be taught to think of animals as disposable, or as playthings and decorations. I hope that your company will perhaps consider marketing this lamp for more humane purposes, instead of as an animal habitat.

Thank you for your time!
Yes, I refused to call it an aquarium or a tank, and therefore I referred to it several times as merely a container.

And, my email was sent back to me. I will resend tomorrow, I guess.

Last edited by toad; 07-27-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #25 
KermieBetta01

You all are wonderfull! Thank you, Thank you!!!!
KermieBetta01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #26 
Bacon Is Good

Thanks from the Bettas

I love what you are doing!!!

We should all write a letter to walmart showing our disgust for this product.
Bacon Is Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #27 
Bacon Is Good

Look at these cruel tanks from walmart:

Betta Bow-Front Rectangular Fish Tank Kit: Fish : Walmart.com

read this description for this tank Water World Goldfish Tank Kit: Fish : Walmart.com

1/3 of a gallon Smallworld Aquarium: Fish : Walmart.com

.5 gallon Aqua Culture Betta Cube with LED Light: Fish : Walmart.com

.7 gallon Aqua Cultur 0.7-Gallon Betta Bubble with LED Hood: Fish : Walmart.com

God knows how small Aqua Cultur 0.7-Gallon Betta Bubble with LED Hood: Fish : Walmart.com

I didn`t even go half way through the listings

I am outraged.
Bacon Is Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #28 
registereduser

Someone named alexusk97 Florida, USA used bettafish.com in their review. That is forbidden!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #29 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Someone named alexusk97 Florida, USA used bettafish.com in their review. That is forbidden!

I almost died when I read that review. I actually cringed.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #30 
jCo72

I saw this tank when I was wanting to buy a 10 gallon tank and I thought it was just horrid!

I was looking over all the reviews and it currently only shows 5 1-star reviews for me currently. I hope that in a few days everyone's 1-star reviews will show up.

Also, I was reading the other reviews just to see what people actually thought and how they could give this "tank" a 5-star review. I was so shocked by these two that I had to post it... although I'm sure many of you saw these already.

Quote:
This Lavarium is great! The LED really make the colors from my betta shine. I was concerned about the size of the Lavarium but have found that my betta is doing quite well and ejoys the 360 degree viewing. The beauty about betta fish is that they donít need a large tank to survive and they can cope quite well in a small bowl with no requirement for a filtration system running. I recommended the lavarium to my room mate and he put six neon tetras inside and they look great. One thing that is important is to be sure to do a partial water change every other week and replace with new water. I would recommend this tank for any new betta owner.

partial water change every other week?!

Quote:
I had my betta in a 1.5gal fish bowl and was looking for a small aquarium with lighting. What I like about this aquarium is the changeable LED lights. ... So I bought the Lavarium and set it up in my office. Then transferred my betta over to his new home and I must say he really enjoys the bubbles that are produced from the air pump and airstone. ... I researched desktop aquariums and some websites said that bettas should be in one gallon tanks and larger but these fish come from small rice paddies in Thailand so this tank is a whole lot better than the fish bowl he was living in. ... I also do a partial water change twice a month and replace old water with new freshwater (be sure to add a couple drops of dechlor to remove harmful chlorine from your tap water. And most of all, only keep one betta in a tank. They are territorial and will chew on each others fins if you put two together. They are far happier being by themselves.

again, partial water change twice a month?? and this person REDUCED the size of the betta's living area and said it was better for him?! I am shocked. Please rate these two reviews down as well as putting up your own review.
jCo72 is offline   Reply With Quote