Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #11 
LebronTheBetta

Java Moss, Java Fern, Moss Balls, Swords, Anubis, Wisteria, etc. Sorry, that's all I know.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #12 
mamanemeth1

Ooo, where can I acquire some java fern?
mamanemeth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #13 
LebronTheBetta

Pet Store or online. My Petsmart has plants but they didn't look familiar. 8l
Old 07-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #14 
teeneythebetta

Any silk plants will work but 99% of plastic plants can rip fins. Don't buy walmart's "plant bulbs" they're crap. Lol.

As for live plants, it depends on your lighting. But java fern is a very easy to Care for plant & it doesn't need much light at all. It pretty much works for any tank. It's the one type of plant I HAVENT killed. Lol.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #15 
mamanemeth1

Bahahaha! I'm a plant killer myself. Do they have silk ones at Walmart. Sorry, not trying to sound cheap but it's the closest place to my parents.
mamanemeth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #16 
BettaQi

I only used 1 dose.

What is recommended instead?
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #17 
LebronTheBetta

Uh, it's not recommended at all. It can harm their organ. Anything with -fix at the end will hurt your Betta. :(
Old 07-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #18 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanemeth1 View Post
Bahahaha! I'm a plant killer myself. Do they have silk ones at Walmart. Sorry, not trying to sound cheap but it's the closest place to my parents.
To be honest idk. I can't remember lol. Sorry...
Maybe try looking on craigslist.org someone might be selling aquarium decor/plants. If you don't see any listings you can post a wanted ad.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #19 
RainbowSocks

If I remember correctly, Walmart does not have silt plants, just plastic. :/ Most Walmarts do have a glow-in-the-dark version of this plant. They also have a glow-in-the-dark type of small cave that I would have purchased if it had been a natural color. I'm not sure how your fish will react to a glow-in-the-dark ornament, but my betta does love that type of plastic plant (mine does not glow). I was a wee bit worried it'd be too pokey, etc., but he's thus far been fine. In my opinion, the rest of Walmarts' caves or ornaments seemed to have too many sharp edges, and I'm too lazy to file them down. (I'm a long-time employee of Walmart... which is why I feel like an encyclopedia when it comes to what we carry LOL).

Some Walmarts have random live plants in their aquariums, but you would totally have to quarantine/sanitize the snot out of them. o.O

And yeah, their live plant bulbs can be hit-and-miss. I've had packages where all the bulbs sprouted, and ones where only one of the four bulbs sprouted. :/

Petsmart and Petco would probably carry java ferns in those plastic tubes usually on display near the end of an aisle (called an end-cap), if you can get to one of those stores. I believe it depends on the store what exactly they have in stock.

Aaaaand you can buy plants online from eBay or Aquabid, but, again in my opinion, paying for shipping is a pain.

-The End
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:15 AM   #20 
JessSH

I love Anubias, java moss & java fern personally. With Anubias, I've notice all my fish LOVE to relax on the leaves. The seem pretty easy to take care of & by that I mean I haven't managed to kill them after almost 5 months. lol I have a black thumb! As far as the torn fins go, you may want to try Stress Coat Plus. 2 of my rescues had severely ripped tails due to fin biting & I used a double dose of that for a couple weeks & their fins are doing great! It does tend to make the decor in the tank kind of slimey, but I don't think it's a big deal. I don't know what size tank you have but the dosing is .5 ml per gallon for a regular dose.
JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote