Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #11 
Meggie6347

Yepp greylady is correct :) the majority of beneficial bacteria lives in the filter media...and I'm sure you know to not change or replace your filter media unless it's falling apart a little bacteria lives in the substrate, but not a significant amount to completely mess up your cycle....and even if you go through a MINI cycle, don't worry about it too much...since there's only one fish in the tank, a little bump in the cycle won't be too bad...just test your water a few times just to make sure...I'm sure you do enough water changes to not worry aout it anyway

To change it, maybe siphon out half the water (to put back in the tank when you're done)...then siphon out all the icky stuff...you could always do a 100% change, too...as already stated (by myself and others), most of the bacteria lives in the filter media, so you'll be fine.

Post pictures when you are done! I love the look of sand! I'd take it over gravel any day! (and my some of my bettas used to like to lay down on it )

Good luck!
Meg

Edit: forgot to mention, don't rinse out your filter media! And keep it in old tank water while you're doing the swap! And try not to let it set too long in the stagnant water Not completely sure, but I think the bacteria needs aeration? Just a little rumor I heard a while back

Last edited by Meggie6347; 07-28-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:41 AM   #12 
mahi

From what I know, the bacteria colonize your filter and everything else in the tank: gravel, plants, decorations and on the glass. If you want to exchange the gravel, make sure you don't clean/exchange something else at the same time and you should be fine.

I once exchanged my gravel by replacing half of my old gravel with new gravel, waiting two weeks and then replacing the other half. But I think I was overcautious and replacing it all at once would have worked as well.
mahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:29 AM   #13 
Unity

Going to take this project on in the coming week. Thanks for all of your advice!

Please let me know if anyone has anything further to add. I will take some before and after pics.

Thanks again!
Unity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #14 
craiger75

Yeah, I've thought this over too and what I've come up with is two things: One, swap it out a little bit at a time. Or two, start over with another tank. My guess is tho; that wouldn't be necessary unless you were changing substrates from say, common gravel to sand or other materials that can cloud the hell out of a tank and potentially harm your betta.

There's actually a product out there that claims to cycle a tank made especially for bettas in a matter of hours that would normally take days that I've mentioned before, but no one else seems to talk about. It comes in a foil bag like CapriSun. I dunno how valid the claims are tho never having tried it myself - I admittedly came to the cycling game late - lol!

My two cents anyway :)

Last edited by craiger75; 07-28-2012 at 06:08 PM.
craiger75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #15 
xShainax

When I changed from gravel to sand I broke down my whole aquarium and scooped out the rocks.
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #16 
craiger75

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greylady View Post
On a side note... I love the look of sand in a tank and actually had white sand for a while and then changed it to black sand that was specifically made for live plants.

Long story short....after months of my poor Gandalf having swim bladder disease, changing foods, changing amounts, times, types of foods, fasting, feeding peas etc etc.. I finally realized he was injesting some of the sand while exploring his tank. Once I got rid of the sand and went back to gravel his swim bladder issues cleared up.

You may not have issues at all, a lot of people use sand as substrate especially when they want live plants. As we all know each Betta is different with different personalities etc so you may be fine with sand, Gandalf just happens to like to eat sand! Lol
Hmmm, that's funny ... I've never heard that one before. I find that interesting bc I kno the substrate you're talking about and was thinking about making the switch to that myself eventually finances permitting. Right now, I'm taking less drastic measures to get my plants in shape He's a fussy eater, so I give him smaller pellets. I wonder if he would mistake the sand for food? Literally giving him kidney stones Thx for the heads-up!
craiger75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #17 
Greylady

You're welcome. like I said, most people using sand have no issues at all. i wish I could use it because I love the way it looks in a tank. I just put it out there because if someone did use sand or switch to sand and then their betta was showing signs of swim bladder issues they could take that into consideration as a possible cause.
Greylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #18 
Unity

Substrate has been changed - will post some before and after pics when I have a chance.

Thanks for all your help everyone!
Unity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #19 
Greylady

Cool, looking forward to the before and after
Greylady is offline   Reply With Quote