Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #1 
Sincerely

Breeder's Choice (I Want It But No Room!)

Have you ever seen a betta on Aquabid or somewhere else and you have your mouse over the bid button, gritting your teeth knowing that betta won't go with your breeding plan or just not the time to raise a spawn from them but you STILL WANT IT.

Well, here is your fix.

I decided to post this thread to help vent both mine and hopefully other breeders urge to purchase every nice fish they come across on Aquabid and other sites.

I want to mention this before someone comments on it.

***This thread is for people who are interested in high quality bettas, I have no personal problems with people who want to raise pet stores bettas AS LONG as they have thorough plan, start to finish of what they will do with the fry when they are of age to give to homes.***

But, to prevent members from posting pictures of any fish and saying "This fish is pretty with its colors" Here will be the rules for this thread.

1. A picture(s) of the betta in question with a link to their page.
2. WHY you would want to breed this fish.
3. What would need to be improved in further generations if bred.
4. List what in the potential mate should have to help improve form/color in the future generations (If you find one just link that too!). Or say a sibling would be sufficient to continue the line.

I thought this could be a fun, educational thread for new breeders or members interested in what a good fish looks like (Diagrams are great but I think a picture of real fish is better.) Along with people who are looking for a pair can browse here and find a pair that piques their interest with the Breeder's Choice stamp of approval

So I will start first!

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1342439236

I have to say, this female gets a big A+ from me, her finnage is clean cut with a great D shaped caudal for a female. A broad dorsal base with a strong, spindle shaped body with good scaling. Her anal is a little long but has good shape to it. Her color is great is well!

In future generations I would shorten the anal and begin to get a long, first ray in the fry.

The male should have a rectangular shaped anal that lines up with his caudal, it could be difficult to find this so I would keep a sharp eye out for one. A male with an upright dorsal that points forward would be preferred. I know the breeder of this female had a few males posted prior so you could ask if he still has them. (I couldn't find a male at this time that I thought would match her the best).

I hope to see other breeder's picks!

-Sincerely
Sincerely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #2 
Curlyfatbottom

That female is great but it seem like she have a spoon head
Curlyfatbottom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #3 
bettalover2033

First I'd like to say that I really love the idea of this thread. It will help people(ME) vent about all the fish on AB that we just die to have. Also adding the educational part of why and such is a good touch so new breeders and other people learning how to choose decent breeding stock.

Okay well here is mine!:

This here pictured is a male HMPK. He is also an asymmetrical HMPK. His coloration would be categorized as Marble HMPK.

I personally would breed him because of his overall form. The form is great. Very minor flaws for a HMPK. His Caudal is just a little rounded as well as the Anal fin. The anal fin seems to curve when it is supposed to come to a point. The Spine is also a little curved (minor spoon head), but it's not horribly shaped and can be overlooked as well as the dip in the separation between the dorsal fin and caudal fin. The small spoon head will not be passed on to a lot of the fry if the female doesn't have a spoon head.

Overall, he would be a great breeder because he has the ideal wide dorsal fin as well as having and over 180* caudal. The ventrals are also very nice! They have the nice upside down knife shape to them. All of the flaws stated above are minor and can be fixed with a nicely formed female or possibly a sibling female.

A potential female for this male would have to have sharp edged fins and either no spoonhead or a small spoon head. A nice colored marble like him will have great fry. Try to stay away from solid colors (if you're going for color and you have form under control) since solid colors will not be present in the line.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #4 
VictorP

Sincerely, is that female a dt geno?
VictorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #5 
jeffegg2

Cool

I think this subject would be better placed under another heading... it really has nothing to do with breeding and I'll constantly have to enter the subject to mark it read.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

I had found a black and white marble PK male.... I WANTED HIM!!! >:( LOL. I don't have a picture... :( But I would've tried to improve on the anal fin as it seemed a bit too long for my taste.

Anywho, a picture of a betta I DO have and intend to breed... Ricky. Overall he is not bad, (other than eating eggs and babies which I believe was because of the female's eggs, not him...after some trials)... I don't like his extended belly look, and he may have PK in his lines (he is an import) and his caudal is too short because of it.

I'd be choosing a female with more even rays, better body line, and a more even caudal. Which I finally got She's a blue/white marble with green/purple edging.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 07-14-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #7 
bettalover2033

Actually, this thread is all about breeding. It's giving new breeders a chance at seeing what (breeders) would choose as breeding stock. It shows what we look for in breeding stock as well. Also what do you mean, you'll have to mark it read?

I think of it as "At least it's not one of those POINTLESS threads about how bettas love us or a ranting thread." So personally I believe that members will look at this thread as helpful. Also If you think this thread has nothing to do with breeding, then you would think that the other threads of people asking "Is this a good fish?" has nothing to do with breeding as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffegg2 View Post
I think this subject would be better placed under another heading... it really has nothing to do with breeding and I'll constantly have to enter the subject to mark it read.
Sena, he is a very pretty CT, but I believe this thread is dedicated mostly to Show quality fish from either AB or another show quality breeder.:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
I had found a black and white marble PK male.... I WANTED HIM!!! >:( LOL. I don't have a picture... :( But I would've tried to improve on the anal fin as it seemed a bit too long for my taste.

Anywho, a picture of a betta I DO have and intend to breed... Ricky. Overall he is not bad, (other than eating eggs and babies which I believe was because of the female's eggs, not him...after some trials)... I don't like his extended belly look, and he may have PK in his lines (he is an import) and his caudal is too short because of it.

I'd be choosing a female with more even rays, better body line, and a more even caudal. Which I finally got She's a blue/white marble with green/purple edging.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #8 
Sincerely

Yes Victor P she does carry the DT geno, I saw last week quite a few DT siblings of hers and they were nice.

Jeff, if you feel that this is a pointless thread with nothing pertaining to breeding by all means ignore it. I just wanted to make a thread to help people see and find good breeding stock(perhaps even purchase to start their own lines). I have seen many people(Including myself) ask to critique a fish they found or ask how we choose the breeding stock we use. This could help clarify and reasolve such questions IMO.

Also, I do not mind if people post their own fish if they are stating what would be said of them at a show. Such as weaknesses, strengths and what would have to be revamped inorder to begin a line dedicated to form, finnage and color.

-Sincerely
Old 07-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

So my import fish aren't to be posted? Well...I'll take my leave.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #10 
Sincerely

So I found this boy while digging abit more into the pictures of halfmoons.

Sorry about the picture, I didn't realize the entire template was the picture LOL
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1342961232

I would breed this boy because he has AWESOME symmetry. A short anal fin that points forward, a long front dorsal ray, sharp caudal edge but the corners could be tidied up in the following generation. He has minimal branching which I love, great for girls who are on the heavy side. And what about that color? Its gorgeous, if I wanted to start a unique marble line I would probably go for this boy.

For the next generation I would work on making the caudal edges smoother than what they are and retaining the long dorsal ray and short anal.

I would highly recommend using a sibling female for this boy, so you keep the color, form and finnage consistent. I would ask for a sibling female who has smoother edges than this boy.