Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #1 
Firien

Maracyn made things worse?

I used to be a member over on Aquamaniacs (back in the day!) but I'm brand new here... have been out of the hobby for a few years, but I'm no newbie to Betta care.

I saw this sad little guy at my local Petco over a period of 3 months. My new apartment doesn't afford me much room, but I couldn't take it anymore and finally brought him home. He had a nasty case of fin rot, and during his time at the store had changed from a bright green to a washed out pale grey.

I tried treating his fin rot with clean warm water, hoping to avoid medication, but after 2 weeks, it was continuing to get worse and creeping closer to his body. I did a quick refresher course on my medications and opted for Maracyn, which has done the trick for my fishies in the past.

The first 3 days the treatment went well. The blackened tips were fading and by day 4 there was an edge of regrowth, although the little guy had also developed a slight swim bladder issue. I didn't feed him that night.

Yesterday was the final treatment, and I was very hesitant to administer it. He was looking stressed, and although there was more regrowth, his SBD was out of control. He was floating more on his side, and when he would try to get a breath of air, he would go into a spin. I completed the treatment, not wanting to stop part way, and he luckily has survived the night.

I've been doing 100% water changes daily with the medication, and today have done another 100% post-treatment. Prior to medicating, I was doing 100% changes twice a week, and 50% changes on the days in between.

I'm not sure what I can do for my little guy at this point. His fin rot has been cured, but in addition to the severe SBD he is just not looking well. His color has gone out again after starting to recover, and he's looking pretty lifeless. There are no outward signs of other fungal infections/ich/velvet or the like, he's just... floating and looking miserable. :(

Housing
2.5 Gal
80 degrees, heated
No filter

I've removed the substrate to allow for quicker water changes, and to ensure I can remove any debris/fish poops as they appear.

Food
1 pellet in the morning
1/2 Frozen bloodworm at night (a whole one would be too big for him)

Maintenance

100% changes twice a week, with 50% changes on the days in between.
During medication period, 100% changes daily.

Water Parameters:
I don't have a test kit at the moment, but I've been doing 100% changes daily for the past week. I use AmQuel + Novaqua to remove chlorine, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and heavy metals. There should be no ammonia present.

Any suggestions you have would be amazing. I've had the little guy for 3 weeks now, and would really hate to lose him after he's come so far :(
Firien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #2 
lelei

Have you tried to do an Epsom salt treatment for the SBD..I hear that works well..and would be better than the Maracyn, sometimes those medicines if taken in too long can hurt the labryinth organ needed for them to breathe, if you have that, I would stop the medicine, and wait 1 day, and start the salt treatment 1tsp /gallon, check the box, for instructions, and for the fin rot, it would be better to treat with Aquarium salt, but cannot treat with 2 diff salts at once, so I would treat for the SBD first, and try to get that taken care of, give 3 days..only and see if there is improvement..I hope it helps, in the meantime you may want to PM Old Fish Lady, as she is an expert in fish illnesses.. Good luck:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #3 
Firien

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Have you tried to do an Epsom salt treatment for the SBD..I hear that works well..and would be better than the Maracyn, sometimes those medicines if taken in too long can hurt the labryinth organ needed for them to breathe, if you have that, I would stop the medicine, and wait 1 day, and start the salt treatment 1tsp /gallon, check the box, for instructions, and for the fin rot, it would be better to treat with Aquarium salt, but cannot treat with 2 diff salts at once, so I would treat for the SBD first, and try to get that taken care of, give 3 days..only and see if there is improvement..I hope it helps, in the meantime you may want to PM Old Fish Lady, as she is an expert in fish illnesses.. Good luck:)
Thanks for the advice, I will pick up some Epsom salts as I'm just about to head out of the house.

The Maracyn treatment has already completed its 5 day course, so he is not currently being medicated. The fin rot was taken care of by the Maracyn, and he has a lot of regrowth. It's just this severe SBD that has me worried now, so I will focus on that!
Firien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #4 
lelei

Ok, good, Epsom is the way to go for that.. I sure hope you have positive results.. Please keep us updated:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote