Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #1 
CrypticDelirium

Unanswered Feather tail questions?

(I know all the hoopla on them genetic issues etc, and am not looking to breed them immediately or possibly even ever, just need complete research for my genetics paper. ; P)

I cannot find anywhere any info on whether feathertail is a dominant, partially dominant or a changeable trait?

For example, how would it work in a punnet square, and if a true feathertail was bread to a perfect form half moon, would it be mainly rosetail, HM, or not enough research done to know?

Thank you very much for any info you can provide!! : D
CrypticDelirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:40 AM   #2 
Fabian

Not quite sure,no one breeds feather tail.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #3 
Creat

It cones down to rays. Feather tails are known for their crazy rays and perfect hm have equal rays. Now dont quote me on this but I believe fewer rays are dominant over many. Therefore feather tail would be resessive however when I bred my feathertail female to the male hm I got equal numbers of feather and normal. But its felt that fry take after their mothers body over the male.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #4 
VictorP

Depending on the rays you would have more rose tail to hm and maybe some S.DeT
VictorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:40 AM   #5 
CrypticDelirium

Thanks so much, you guys are too awesome!

Makes me wonder though, everyone "culls" feathertails but if bred JUST right by someone with a high knowledge, mayhaps they could not have many issues and be a beautiful new addition, instead of a shove off inbred. : /

Reading up on it more got me going looking into them,

I may be acquiring one very soon, as a pet for now but he'd make one FINE breeder if I ever go that route with FT's. He has no issues and is overall amazing aside from a slightly long anal fin. The color is wonderful! Not line bred either. <3 If there were more like him, from good responsible breeders of them who dedicate great detail into outcrossing, I bet people would adore them. Shame they get such a hard rap and are generally so inbred for money.
CrypticDelirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:48 AM   #6 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticDelirium View Post
Thanks so much, you guys are too awesome!

Makes me wonder though, everyone "culls" feathertails but if bred JUST right by someone with a high knowledge, mayhaps they could not have many issues and be a beautiful new addition, instead of a shove off inbred. : /

Reading up on it more got me going looking into them,

I may be acquiring one very soon, as a pet for now but he'd make one FINE breeder if I ever go that route with FT's. He has no issues and is overall amazing aside from a slightly long anal fin. The color is wonderful! Not line bred either. <3 If there were more like him, from good responsible breeders of them who dedicate great detail into outcrossing, I bet people would adore them. Shame they get such a hard rap and are generally so inbred for money.
Separated from the defects, it could lead to the "Full Moon" Betta... I'm sure there are some working on it.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote