Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #1 
FlAussieMom

Help me understand...

I am fairly new to the betta community. I have had Mr. fish for over a year and he is doing really well. I have recently purchased 3 moreand am trying to do better by them. I purchased a new tank today and will be setting it up tomorrow (dividing and decorating it) and letting it cycle for a few days before I put the fish in it. Al, my biggest is very aggressive and I believe he will stay in the 2.5 gallon tank and I may purchase another guy to go in the divided 20 gallon long that i will be setting up. Al, the big guy in my profile pic, seams to have split his tail pretty good the other day and now it is starting to form brown streaks in it. I understand it is most likely fin rot. I am trying to treat it with clean water and a little bit of extra stress coat, I have taken all decor out of his tank but some soft plants for him to rest on. What else can I do to help him?

Also, before i set up the big divided tank, what additives should I put in the water, besides stress coat? I will be picking up a test kit in the morning so I can start testing the water like I should have been.
FlAussieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:29 AM   #2 
Kenny G

Sounds like your doing everything you should do. I would pick up some type of antibiotics like Tetracycline.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:53 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Please review information about cycling. It takes more than a few days...ten at the least--- two months or more is not unusual.

Aquarium salt (for skin and fin) and Epson salt (for digestive issues) are good to have. If you're maintaining your water properly, you shouldn't need drugs.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:30 AM   #4 
mahi

It took me 5 weeks to cycle mine.
mahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #5 
FlAussieMom

I will read the cycling information, and I am not trying to be contrary but, one fish is in a 2.5 gallon tank and the others are in half gallon things. I'm want to get them into the big tank as soon as possible, with daily water changes for the fish in the small bins what would be the difference in putting them in the big tank once it has gotten to temp over doing a 100% water change?
Old 07-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #6 
Kenny G

It's always good to have an emergency kit with meds handy just in case. I would pick up the Tetracycline anyway. Sometimes the natural holistic methods suggested by others don't always work. Sometimes by waiting you do more harm then good. Do your research online and choose a plan of action that is best for you and your betta.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #7 
JBosley

I got a 3 gallon tank, some new gravel and live plants. I took some substrate from my 15 gallon cycled tank, put it in a small pot and set it inside my 3 gallon tank and it was cycled in less than a day....

And 1 week later I re-checked the water parameters and it's still 100% cycled!
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #8 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Please review information about cycling. It takes more than a few days...ten at the least--- two months or more is not unusual.

Aquarium salt (for skin and fin) and Epson salt (for digestive issues) are good to have. If you're maintaining your water properly, you shouldn't need drugs.
exactly what I was going to say ^ :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #9 
Kenny G

The purpose of this forum is to present options and solutions. Ultimately you have to do what you feel is best since you are the primary caregiver for your betta.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #10 
FlAussieMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBosley View Post
I got a 3 gallon tank, some new gravel and live plants. I took some substrate from my 15 gallon cycled tank, put it in a small pot and set it inside my 3 gallon tank and it was cycled in less than a day....

And 1 week later I re-checked the water parameters and it's still 100% cycled!
I was going to put my old filter and some of the old substraight in a little jar to let it cycle. I bought aquarium salt to treat my guy with fin rot and and a water test kit this morning. So things should be back on track. Thank you for the suggestions.