Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #1 
CharStarr

Tetra or Other Small Fish...

Hi guys! So heres my new dilemma, when I had Kudo in his 5 gallon tank he was with 4 cardinal tetra, they all lived happy together and such. Then they moved to a 10 gallon and apparently that stressed out the cardinal tetra so much they passed, so I got 6 new ones now I made sure the water was okay, I got advice on tank cycling so I waited before adding them, pH level was good, no ammonia but 5/6 died and I still have one little guy who I have named Jet. Im a little scared to get more cardinal tetra but are there any small hardy fish that I can put in a tank? Maybe a different kind of tetra?Thanks!
CharStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:05 AM   #2 
CharStarr

PS my tank is always heated to about 78
CharStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

No room in a 10 gallon for more tetra. You can get a couple more cardinals but that's it.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #4 
GrayL

My 10 has 4 glowlights, a betta, and 4 ghost shrimp. Make sure you have proper filtration. My glowlights have been doing fine, I reccomend them
GrayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #5 
iElBeau

That's weird! I wonder if theres some sort of difference in the water parameters that you maybe missed that could be causing the problem? I have a male betta with four female guppies and two mystery snails. Key is having all female guppies, as the males can be aggressive, and your betta may mistake it for another betta. It works really well for me, sometimes I even see Beau sleeping with the guppies, and it looks like they're cuddling :P
iElBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #6 
thekoimaiden

Cardinals aren't the most hardy fish. They need really good water parameters and don't handle stress well. I'm not surprised they passed. Glowlight tetra or ember tetra would be a better bet. They are both more hardy and compatible with betta.

As for the one remaining cardinal, he might cause some problems. When stressed they can lash out at other fish. He might not, but I'm warning you this is a possibility. Can you return him to the store? Even for store credit?
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #7 
AquaKai

thekoimaiden is right about the one cardinal. I would try to rehome that fish ASAP.

Some great fish for that tank (after you get rid of the cardinal) are harlequin rasboras, ember tetras, espei rasboras-those are the easiest, galaxy rasboras/celestial pearl danios, and some other NANO (not regular sized) fish- these are harder.

If you want your betta to have the top sections of the tank to him self you could do shrimp (possibly, depends on the betta some will eat the shrimp others will not), PYGMY/DWARF/MINI corydoras these are NOT albino, peppered or emerald that you would see at the pet stores and they will not survive in a tank that size!, and if I remember correctly khuli loaches can live in the 10g too, but I'll have to check.

Please don't get a fish that will get too big for the 10g with the betta, that is cruel. Just my opinion. Research before you buy any of the fish:) And good for posting on here!!!
AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #8 
thekoimaiden

The smaller cories would do well, but kuhlies like more swimming room than a 10 gal can provide. They are also very active and will stress out your betta. If you can find some micro-cory species those would probably be best.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #9 
AquaKai

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
The smaller cories would do well, but kuhlies like more swimming room than a 10 gal can provide. They are also very active and will stress out your betta. If you can find some micro-cory species those would probably be best.
Thanks for that! I don't go in to the loach side of things. I like staying with the cories
AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #10 
thekoimaiden

I'm the exact opposite. I love loaches ^-^ but I've never kept cories. Actually the banded dwarf loaches would work in that tank. They need to be in groups of at least 6 to feel comfortable. But they have all of the personality of the bigger loaches.