Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2012, 02:40 AM   #1 
Akuinnen

Torn/Fraying Fins?

I'm a first time fish owner so maybe I'm worrying too much, but when I got my betta I had regular gravel in his tank and it seems like it frayed my fish's fins a bit. There is also a natural wooden root for fish to hide under that may have caused his fins to tear. The damage doesn't seem to bother him, but I was wondering how long it should take to heal, and if I should be using some kind of salt or medication besides the Indian almond leaf extract in my dechlorinator.

I now have smooth rocks and marbles over the top of almost all of the gravel and have added a large silk plant, and will be adding more real plants, as well as a smooth cave/hiding spot for him. Should that be enough? Other than his water being fairly hard, it's levels of nitrates, ammonia, etc are perfect. Does hardness of water affect the healing process?

Thanks for any kind of help! As he's my first ever pet, I really don't want to mess anything up!

Here are a couple pictures:

Akuinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:26 AM   #2 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
I'm a newbie (started in April) so I am not sure if water hardness affects healing very much, but I did find that you can order some peat granules (I only know of Fluval brand) that you can put in a little bag in your filter to soften water naturally. (Or peat moss itself, supposedly)

I also saw some kind of giant teabag looking thing at Petco today that says it can soften water. Haven't tried it yet so I can't say whether it works but I bet someone else on this site will know more.

FYI my Cornelius may have ripped fins from driftwood . .. I took it out and I tried sanding it to make it smooth, maybe that could help. Until I sand it better I may have to leave it out- which stinks because I read that wood helps with water hardness or high ph.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #3 
Akuinnen

I'm using an aquarium that my friend used to have, so I think it might already have peat granules? There's a little bag in the filter that is either that or charcoal to help filter the water. It also has a japanese moss ball and a piece of driftwood/root to help with the algae and ph. I wonder if the water might be hard because when she used to change the water she didn't use any dechlorinator?

I've only had my betta for about 5 days so I haven't needed a water change yet for his 10 gallon tank since it's filtered, but once I do I definitely plan on treating the new water with the "NutraFin Betta Plus Water Conditioner" I have.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #4 
Akuinnen

Unfortunately, he seems to have gotten worse. Now most of his fins have frayed edges. I almost wonder if his fins are more fragile than other bettas because they're transparent? I did a 10% water change for his 10 gallon tank (which I plan on doing weekly), and the new water has a dechlorinator with Indian almond leaf extract. However, when siphoning the bottom I ended up mixing the smooth rocks with the gravel so they don't cover the gravel as thoroughly.

Should I remove the gravel completely and use smooth stones/glass? Or would that destroy the bacteria? I also have a piece of driftwood, but he never goes near it so don't think that's part of the problem. Thankfully his fins don't seem to be bothering him, but I'm worried he might be at risk of infection.

Sorry to bombard you guys with so many questions! I wish I could find a good article on it, but they all seem to be about fins that have parts completely torn off instead of fraying.

Here's a picture of how he looks:

and here's what the gravel looks like, mixed with the smooth stones and glass:
Old 07-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #5 
MSG

I think your problem is your filter current is too strong.

What kind of filter is pictured in the 2nd photo?

Post a picture of your ENTIRE tank. I don't think it's the gravel.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #6 
Akuinnen

Here is a picture of the tank I am using. It was used by my roommate for three years until she gave it to me about a week ago, everything included. Apparently the water hadn't been changed for four weeks before she gave it to me! There was algae everywhere when I got it, and I still haven't finished cleaning it up, but the tank is cycled and has a japanese moss ball, as well as a Siamese cleaner fish to help with the algae.

The filter says Flotec on it, and I changed the setting to very low because it did seem to be bothering him at first. Over the past few days I haven't seen him go near it at all though. The only time I saw him swim up to it was during the first two days I had him. He does rest on the gravel at night though, which is why I thought the gravel was the problem.

Tags
torn fins