Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2012, 03:46 AM   #1 
TheCrabbyTabby

White filmy stuff?

I have a white sort of film on the surface of the tank water. It varies from thin and watery to clumpy in places. Flakes of it are knocked down by the filter and then float around the tank a bit. Is this a protein film? If so, what should I do?

Tank is at 78 degrees and the filter is a tetra whisper 10i in tank filter. Could the filter be the problem?

EDIT: Just realized that I recently added some mopani wood. Could that be the culprit?

Last edited by TheCrabbyTabby; 07-28-2012 at 03:48 AM.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #2 
Kenny G

If the film is clear then it is food protein. That is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #3 
Aus

Mopani's terrible for white mold.. I have a piece covered in it, currently. It goes away in a week or two, or you can remove the wood and boil the crud out of it. I find shrimp and catfish like to eat it, however. You can also vac it off at water change time.

If my fish was sickly or had been ill recently I'd probably boil the crud out of it, though, as some white molds can be opportunistic and jump onto necrotic flesh in the case of fin rot or ulcers, etc. It's no problem at all for the average healthy fish.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote