Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #11 
bettaluvr

Thanks for the help guys...I really don't think AQ salt or overstocking is the killer here though. I heard different on the salt and that a little was good for them but will stop using it unless they're sick. I'm down to 4 girls now and will wait a few days before I put them back in the tank.
bettaluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #12 
teeneythebetta

Okay, keep us updated. I know AQ salt is bad after so long, I think the harm it does is to the labyrinth organ.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #13 
bettaluvr

Valentina is also very weak..I took her out and put her in a cup because the other ones were bothering her. When I drained the tank on tuesday Miss curious George swam right up and got sucked up in the hose as I took off the gravel atatchment to drain it quicker. I felt terrible after but she seemed ok just a little scuffed up. The stress may have weakened her too much. She's the "grumpy face bully" and my favorite.
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #14 
PixelatedPaint

I have seen the damage AQ salt can do over even moderate time periods. who told you it was good for them? the salt seriously harms their kidneys and should only be used for treatment for a max of 10 days , which even I am not comfortable using for that long. AQ salt will also hurt the plants so itll help more than one aspect by discontinuing it.

Teeneythebetta was right on the mark here.

I have rescued bettas for years now managed to help bettas recover from just this. This sounds like it to me.Although overstocking might be an issue as well, fish are easily stressed and stress can lead to illness quickly.

Although. As long as you maintain a great water change routine, you should be able to handle that bioload. Although if diligence isnt always possible, scaling back might be best.

I usually use IAL when my bettas are stressed, it really seems to calm them and works wonders. Although not best to do in a planted tank as the tannin might lower the amount of light reaching the plants and lower ph.

Best of luck.

Gorgeous girls and i hope they heal fast!
PixelatedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #15 
bettaluvr

If it's from using maybe a tablespoon or less of AQ salt maybe every other water change I don't know why only 3 girls seem to be affected. Valentina being affected also takes out over eating because I know she didn't over eat. The other 3 girls seem fine. You guys don't think it's because of using a new filter and clean gravel??
Old 07-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #16 
bettaluvr

I've seen tons of recommendations for salt Here's just one
http://www.bettatalk.com/water.htm
"Salt. Yes, bettas are not marine fish, but they do love a bit of salt in their water and it also prevents parasites and fungus. Add 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt, or rock salt per 5 gal of water (not table salt!!!! They are bettas, not pretzels!!). Now a day, I actually put 1 teaspoon per 10 gal. What that means is that you can play around a bit with your salt amount, and I have found that anything between 1 teaspoon per 10 gal to 1 tablespoon per 5 gal works. "
Old 07-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #17 
teeneythebetta

Go ahead, add salt to the water. We warned you that it is fatal. If you want to kill more of your fish then be my guest. I know I sound rude but way too many people here ignore advice and the fish are the ones that suffer.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #18 
bettaluvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Go ahead, add salt to the water. We warned you that it is fatal. If you want to kill more of your fish then be my guest. I know I sound rude but way too many people here ignore advice and the fish are the ones that suffer.
I won't be adding salt in the future but I'm 99.9% positive it's not the reason I have 2 dead fish and 1 dying. I have a community tank with a male Betta and some balloon mollies and guppies I always add a teaspoon or so AQ salt to that one and he's in perfect health

Last edited by bettaluvr; 07-28-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #19 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Did you have a water testing kit and did you check all the levels ?
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #20 
bettaluvr

No I'm going to bring a sample to petco later