Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #21 
PixelatedPaint

All fish are different, their endurance can change slightly and some may hang in there longer. but it is fatal to use regularly. that damage wont go away and it will eventually cause other organs to fail or for the fish to become so stressed other ailments might surface, such as parasites and the like.

It just takes some time for it to show on some fish.

I would highly recommend IAL if you have yet to try them. when my bettas have issues they get some"spa time" and that helps build their slime coat and sooth any burns or fin rot they might have. The later usually at rescue time.

I would also strongly recommend buying a small kit, as in some situations, levels need immediate adjusting to avoid fatalities. Things we can't see are sneaky like that.

I truly hope things go for the better with your fish~
PixelatedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #22 
bettaluvr

Petco tested the water and as I suspected.. abnormally high levels of Ammonia from using a new filter and clean gravel...not enough beneficial bacteria. I was told by someone because I used half old water that it would be fine and I could do a partial water change in a few days...apparently it wasn't.
bettaluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #23 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaluvr View Post
Petco tested the water and as I suspected.. abnormally high levels of Ammonia from using a new filter and clean gravel...not enough beneficial bacteria. I was told by someone because I used half old water that it would be fine and I could do a partial water change in a few days...apparently it wasn't.
It wasn't okay because the tank is over stocked, it takes time for beneficial bacteria to build up before the cycling process begins. Being overstocked, the ammonia built up too fast and there was no BB to eat it up.

I suggest you buy a liquid test kit & cycle your tank.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #24 
bettaluvr

The tank was not overstocked for doing weekly water changes, and I don't think 6 small females is too much for an 8 gallon..I've had zero problems until I changed the filter and tank.

Last edited by bettaluvr; 07-30-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #25 
bettaluvr

I have 2 survivors..one with sever fungus(Bella) around her head and the other(Doris)with small amounts...is this ammonia burn that got infected or is it some other fungus? I quarantined both, the catfish and frog are fine . I restarted the tank cycle on saturday cleaned everything out, added fresh water and some "microbe lift" beneficial bacteria..saturday night I sdded the frog and catfish back in and 24 hours later I added both girls back...this morning I noticed fungus on Bella's head and took her out..I now noticed some on Doris and quarantined her as well...
Old 07-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #26 
bettaluvr

I also believe all those live plants were working against me..probably creating more ammonia as I upset them when I uprooted them to change the tanks??
Old 07-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #27 
teeneythebetta

If ammonia is what hurt them, putting them into a cycling tank is a BAD idea.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #28 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaluvr View Post
I also believe all those live plants were working against me..probably creating more ammonia as I upset them when I uprooted them to change the tanks??
Plants don't create ammonia unless they are dying. When alive they absorb ammonia.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #29 
bettaluvr

and the "aquatic expert" at petco who tested the water said I could just add the microbe lift wait 24 hours and add the fish back in.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #30 
bettaluvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Plants don't create ammonia unless they are dying. When alive they absorb ammonia.
The plants I have in their are aponogentens..they haven't looke dto swift since I took them out of the old tank and put them back in.