Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #1 
LinkLover

To rescue or not to rescue...

My dream of having a real full-fledged betta rescue is still very much in my mind every single day. I have the available tanks and equipment to start smallish, but I'm having reservations because of how difficult it is to find them good caring homes. And it isn't really a rescue if I have five bettas that stay with me and never get another home, meaning I can't fit any more in my house and the rescue comes to a stop. What do you guys think? I know I posted a similar thread before, but now I have the resources and experience, so it's a little more real. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #2 
puppyrjjkm

I think it's a great idea! Moonshadow does this as well and posts the recovered bettas in the classifieds and I think almost all she posts find homes from the forum. It could also be a way to educate friends/family members with a gift of a rescued betta with care info. (If they are open to it of course :) )
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #3 
LinkLover

Thank you! That makes me feel a little more confident about it. I have already placed three bettas with family/friends, so I know it can be done, but I have pretty much asked everyone I know personally and the rest of them aren't interested. So this forum is my only chance to rehome (I have a guy posted in the classifieds right now), but unfortunately not many members live in my area, and I've never shipped a fish so I prefer pickup. I have all the desire and motivation, I just need the tools to make it successful. :)
Old 07-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #4 
Pilot00

Very commendable effort. You have my respect.But why dont you start small with everything you have available now? A single rescue is better than no rescue.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #5 
LinkLover

I did do one fish at a time a few months ago (I took a break due to personal issues) and that went well. Now I have more supplies available (enough for six fish, five in long-term tanks waiting for homes, and one hospital tank) and would love to utilize them. But like I said, my big hang up is the lack of people willing to take them in.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #6 
toad

I think that's a wonderful idea! But, I definitely understand your concern - it would be difficult finding them homes, but especially difficult to keep them all local. You may be forced to ship.

I know with rats they set up "rat trains", where a person takes the animal, drives it to a another person, who drives it to another person, etc. etc. until they get the pet to the adoptive owner. I wonder if there are enough betta people to make a betta train 8) I'd be a part of one!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #7 
puppyrjjkm

Shipping isn't too hard, as long as you have the supplies. Mine was shipped double bagged (small fish bags) with shredded newspaper around it, and placed inside a foam/insulated box, inside a post office flat rate box. Even 3 days in 90 degree heat he survived :)
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #8 
LinkLover

Haha a betta train, that would be awesome. But if I could figure out shipping, that would probably make it easier. I know how to prepare the fish/box for shipping, I just have never actually done it, and don't know how to make it less expensive. Because I can't afford to pay for shipping, but I want the price to be reasonable for someone wanting to adopt.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #9 
Freyja
Banned

Threads like this are dangerous to me and my soft-heart Your effort is commendable.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #10 
LinkLover

Aww, thank you very much! Trust me, whenever I go to a pet store and see a sick betta, I look at my boyfriend with puppy dog eyes and beg him to get it for me. Haha.