Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2012, 05:41 AM   #1 
JessSH

PetCo Bookshelf Tank?

I found the sweetest little girl at my LFS (who takes great care of their bettas BTW) & I have her on hold until I can hopefully buy her tomorrow. Since she'll be my only girl I need to get another tank. I've been look at the bookshelf tank & noticed it comes with a filter. Does anyone have experience with this filter? I've heard some filters that can suck fins in & really damage them & I really want to avoid that.
JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #2 
LittleWatty

I love love love the bookshelf tank. I've got one for Sonas, and I just bought another one for my plakat. The filter is adjustable, and there's plenty of room to put sponges inside the filter (both for BB buildup, and to slow the flow even more), its easy to put a sponge on the outtake as well. I've also got a fluval sponge (Sponge) built to baffle intakes on it as well, and I have had no trouble what so ever.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #3 
SnowySurface

I personally replaced the filter the tank came with out of habit. XD

To be honest, any filter bigger than the Whisper 3i can suck up fins. Whether you replace the filter like I did or use the included filter like LittleWatty, you'll end up baffling it for the sake of fishy fins.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #4 
registereduser

The bookshelf tank is 2 feet long and the filter sits on one end so one side of the water's surface moves but the other doesn't. It's really the perfect betta tank!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:11 AM   #5 
JessSH

Thanks guys! I ended up going to PetCo & found a 10 gal kit that even included a pretty nice heater for only $70! I'm going to set it up & start cycling tonight while Siren is in a temp 2 gal. I can't find the one I bought online, but this is the same thing without the heater.

http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-17755-D...e+Kit+Aquarium
JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:33 AM   #6 
Greylady

That's what I have Gandalf in also and I love it! It's perfect for a betta, long and low. I really want another one. Lol. Like Llittlewatty said, the filter it came with is adjustable and when set to the lowest flow it hardly moves the water at all, and then only on that end of the tank. When I do water changes and take Gandalf out, I turn the flow up to high and stir the gravel around and let it clean out the tank, then turn it back to low before Gandalf goes back in. It really is a sweet set up.

My only complaint would be that being acrylic instead of glass it does have a tendency to scratch easily so it's best to be careful when cleaning, adding substrate etc. Other than that I love it. Here's a decent pic of it in my album if anyone wants to see it.
Greylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #7 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greylady View Post
That's what I have Gandalf in also and I love it! It's perfect for a betta, long and low. I really want another one. Lol. Like Llittlewatty said, the filter it came with is adjustable and when set to the lowest flow it hardly moves the water at all, and then only on that end of the tank. When I do water changes and take Gandalf out, I turn the flow up to high and stir the gravel around and let it clean out the tank, then turn it back to low before Gandalf goes back in. It really is a sweet set up.

My only complaint would be that being acrylic instead of glass it does have a tendency to scratch easily so it's best to be careful when cleaning, adding substrate etc. Other than that I love it. Here's a decent pic of it in my album if anyone wants to see it.
very nice set up!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #8 
LittleWatty

I'm pretty sure that's the same one I bought to divide between a DT and a PK - but when I lost the DT it was then dedicated to my rather new King. Still cycling, but its not bad. The filter's a bit strong, but if baffled properly, its not too bad!
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote