Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Which betta fish food is the best?
Nutritional pellets 3 33.33%
Regular fish flakes 0 0%
Bloodworms (yes, bettas can eat it) 2 22.22%
Something else... (please post it on my thread) 4 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #1 
misterBetta22

Question Betta Breeding Confusion HELP!!!!!!

I have a fish that is a female and a male. But I try testing to see if they can go along well together FIRST before I research how to breed. ( Still don't know how ). But, they always fight! The female betta got its fin torn like that! And I don't know if this is correct or not. So, I asked a betta guy from my favorite pet store and he said the female betta I thought was a female was a male! And now, I need another female betta. So how do you treat the fins that are SERIOUSLY torn, and how do you breed for starters?

Last edited by misterBetta22; 07-28-2012 at 11:47 AM.
misterBetta22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

You don't want to keep them together-especially for the conditioning process for breeding....

I would separate them so that they can't see each other-neither in the spawning tank.

Mass feed live mosquito larva and allow them to see each other for about 5min a day.

The best medication to heal tattered fins is-clean dechlorinated water from water changes and good nutrition....Adding some tannins will help too.

Then research, research and research some more-then ask question on what you don't understand.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #3 
inareverie85

Female and male bettas should NEVER live together. Ever. A male with another male is bad too, of course, but even if your fish were a girl, you were going about it the wrong way.

They are only placed in a tank together when they are ready to breed. After they have done so, you take the female out.

You should always house your fish in separate tanks. I don't want to sound mean, but keeping them together means those fish are in mortal danger. They can and WILL kill each other.

Before considering breeding, consider that you will need a fair amount of money to get started, unless you're a big DIY guy. Then you might be able to cut down on some costs. You will need lots of time though to tend to the babies.

You'll need to have time for multiple feedings daily and daily water changes/siphoning. You'll need to have money to buy the supplies you need. Live foods, spawn tank, grow out tank, heater, jars for the fry, IAL, and other things.

As far as learning how to breed, putting the male and female together is the easier part. It's raising the babies that is though.

Luckily, this forum has many stickies that can help you learn how to do all of the things you need to know. Be sure to read read read! :)
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #4 
misterBetta22

Ohhhhh thank you! <3 My mom is helping me too but we had some confusion then...
misterBetta22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #5 
jeffegg2

Cool

What constitutes "BEST"???? Best for what? Best for who? Most nutrition for the dollar? If I was to ask the Betta, I think he would tell me live food is best.

I would say it is best to feed foods that the Betta likes, which is usually frozen or live, and to augment that with something that is vitamin enriched like flake or pellet. Mine seem to prefer flake as it floats.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Er... This is hard to explain but, or you sure you want to breed? You need to get proper breeding stock and homes for possibly 50+ fish. It's going to be a LOT of money and space. You even need fry food, shipping supplies, grow out tank, spawning tank, extra supplies, jars for males and aggressive females, etc. Either way whether you like it or not, it'll take a lot of money and space for breeding. Sorry if I was harsh. >.<
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:17 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Just remember that breeding takes a lot of commitment, time and responsibility. Like MrV used to say, research until your brain hurts. lol Also, you don't want to try out a male and female together just to see if they get along. The only time they'll get along is when they're under the nest spawning.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, breed, fins, fish, torn