Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #11 
Seki

I love hearing the stories of the fishy people ALMOST got!

lelei - that fish sounds GORGEOUS! But as sad as you are not to have him, I'm sure it was all for a reason. Those rescues might not have made it without you!

fleetfish - I'm so sorry about Brunhilda, but it seems like this new little fishy was just waiting for you! You made her life a WHOLE lot better! :)
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #12 
fleetfish

Sometimes that's how it works.... this new girl is what I needed. I hope I can give her everything in my power to make her as beautiful as the first day I saw her. I also picked up a red VT boy, who was among the multitudes of red bettas. I wanted to give him a chance and let him not rot in his cup. I didn't want him to be forgotten.

Last edited by fleetfish; 08-07-2012 at 06:03 PM.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #13 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki View Post
Gah, guys, another one I couldn't get today!! He was sooooo gorgeous, though! White doubletail halfmoon with marbling... Ahhh, I wanted him so badly, but my friend was with me and made a very intelligent argument... I had nowhere to put the fish if I got him. Alright, I admit, I really don't have the money or space for another tank and all the accessories to go with it, but... He was so daggone pretty!

On another note, I didn't know Petsmart sold female bettas! O_O
I have this same issue every time I see the bettas, no matter where I am. I have to be practical, (voice in my betta head says, no ya don't). I already have 5 and at the end of June when I got my first one I didn't even know what a betta fish was!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #14 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki View Post
Gah, guys, another one I couldn't get today!! He was sooooo gorgeous, though! White doubletail halfmoon with marbling... Ahhh, I wanted him so badly, but my friend was with me and made a very intelligent argument... I had nowhere to put the fish if I got him. Alright, I admit, I really don't have the money or space for another tank and all the accessories to go with it, but... He was so daggone pretty!

On another note, I didn't know Petsmart sold female bettas! O_O

That might be because they stick the females on another shelf that is less visible than the males. . at mine the females are in the aisle next to betta heaters but the males are on many shelves at the end of an aisle where more foot traffic is.

----------------------

I am still thinking about the dragon doubletail plakats I saw at Petco last time. I have no room and I hope to move soon so I really need to curb my betta-buying. :(
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #15 
nel3

there was one fish that i thought of after not getting it due to lack of space. i can only say its a silver VT that or a mix of black and light blue. totally unique but 1 too many for me atm.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #16 
Jrf456

I have one story :( Great post idea by the way.

ONE TIME (emphasis on one time because my mom would never do this xD) my mom took me to two Petsmarts, a Petco, a Pet Supermarket, two Walmart's and two lfs's to find another betta for my birthday. Now that I have so many, she only lets me get one on birthdays or Christmas. Well, at Petsmart, there was this gorgeous burnt orange plakat with dragon scaling. He was sooo cute, but I left him cause I thought I might have just been settling. That day I got my gorgeous pink male VT from Walmart!

About two weeks later, when I went back to the Petsmart with my mom to get dog and cat food, he was STILL THERE. He was healthy, and his water was still blue (My local Petsmart takes excellent care of the bettas.) I didn't get him :c Mom wouldn't let me. I hope whatever happened to him that he's safe and alive in a nice 3g somewhere.

Last edited by Jrf456; 08-08-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #17 
thekoimaiden

I've got a recent story of the one I left behind. About 4 weeks ago I found a beautiful halfmoon half giant at Petco. About two weeks ago I went back and saw a full giant! He look so pathetic in that little cup; his colors were all washed out, and his fins were clamped. The poor bugger couldn't turn around. I would have gotten him, but that little voice in my head called reason (out you!!) reminded me that I was getting ready to leave the country for two weeks. I still think about him sometimes. I wonder if he is still there. I'm almost afraid to go check. I have a habit of buying bettas when I'm down.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #18 
Seki

Aw, you guys have found some gorgeous bettas! It's sad when we have to leave them behind, but we can only hope someone awesome adopted them and put them into their own ten gallon tanks. I have to imagine the fish I left behind were adopted and are now being spoiled with yummy treats and perfectly conditioned and heated water... and owners who adore them and show them off and brag about them to everyone (like I do with my Drago... who is freaking adorable~).

That orange betta sounds so gorgeous, and the halfmoon giant? -swoons-
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #19 
Aus

I had to leave behind what looked like an unwell giant female in my LFS, that bothered me a lot..

They take absolutely crap care of the bettas, so I hate going to their livestock section.. I've sworn how many times to never buy fish there again, but 4/4 of our current splendens are from that store. I'm not a pity-buyer, nor will I ever again buy a sick fish... but not helping the occasional healthy fish to stay healthy is really hard..

Anyway, the day I bought Cleo there was another little red female in the cup beside her- a tiny little spade tail, absolutely adorable. Daughter wanted us to get that one, but I had a good feeling about Cleo (who is the house superstar now..) -- we to this day wonder what happened to her. That store is great at killing fish slowly in nasty little cups. But with her unusual tail, we hope she caught somebody's eye.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:50 AM   #20 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Ok let's face it. For people like us, there is a "One you left behind" almost every time we go somewhere that has a decent selection of bettas.

Actually, even when there is a crappy selection. Because for me, I can't decide between a really cool looking betta, or a totally sad little underdog betta that has "nothing special" on the outside, but you know would be so cute when healthy.

Am I right? :)
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote