Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #1 
Drift

Question Confused about my older Betta

My crowntail I have had for 3 years now, and he was an adult when bought from Petco.

For the past couple of weeks just his left side was slightly raised. Being older I just assumed it was most likely the start of a tumor. Maintained the same size for a while then I noticed it getting larger and figured my assumption was correct. Still active and eating the entire time.
A week later noticed some what off balance in swimming and starting to get lethargic. Most of abdomen distended on left side with ride side slightly. Figured whatever was wrong may have been pressing on his swim bladder. He hung out at the bottom in his cave or in his betta log. Several times I thought he was dead. =/ Started to pinecone as well. Thought the end was coming. Couldn't find any clove oil in the local stores so I sat around upset with myself because the following day I worked and had to leave afterwards to go out of town for the weekend.
He got blood streaks at the end of his fins and around the bottom of his belly.
Told my step-mom to take care of everyone and if he didn't come up to not bother feeding him and to just feed my other one and community tank so any uneaten food wouldn't foul up the tank.
He was fed despite my directions because no one ever listens to me. I'm sure he was over fed during these 3 days too. I found a good bit of food at the bottom. -sigh-

Came back and he looked much better! Not sure what happened and no one else knows either. Most of his scales went back down and his belly was no as distended. He was crazy active again as well! It was like a mini miracle.

Now his fins that were blood shot have white "fuzz" hanging off looking like some type of fungus/bacterial infection. I can't fully tell if his abdomen area is distended or just looks this way because of muscle waste. He's kind of skinny now and slowed back down a good bit. Still eating.

What should I do? I don't have a quarantine tank atm. They're 2 hours away because another family member needed them.

He's in a planted divided 10 gallon with my halfmoon betta. Who is perfectly normal if anyone is wondering. The little terror is having no issues. :P The tank is cycled with no problems heated to 80 degrees, feed Attison's Betta Pro Pellets, etc.

Last edited by Drift; 07-27-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #2 
bettasareawesome

That's weird I've never heard of anything like this. Other than the fuzz is there anything strange about him.
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #3 
Drift

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 Gallon Divided
What temperature is your tank? 80*
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, current is stronger on healthy fishes side.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Divided, male on otherside.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Attison's Betta Pro
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4 pellets early evening.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:10-ish? I'm horrible at colors.
pH:7
Hardness: I have Soft water
Alkalinity: Slightly Acidic.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Distended abdomen, muscle waste, blood streaks, white fuzz spots on tail.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1 1/2 months ago first started, thought was a tumor.
Have you started treating your fish? No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not once.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Around 3 years.

Last edited by Drift; 07-27-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #4 
Drift

Sorry, figured I'd post that in case someone comes a long and says I didn't answer everything.

Muscle wasting, lethargic, the white fuzz spots is all currently how he is presenting. Only time he's active is when i'm hovering around the tank and he thinks he is getting fed. :P
Old 07-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #5 
Drift

Any one? =/
Old 07-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #6 
JennybugJennifer

Ummm Im by far no expert but I'd start with some AQ salt until a pro comes and helps you :/ do weird! 1 tsp per gallon dissolved in a separate tank. Def separate them. If you have to use Tupperware or anything like that. Atleast a gallon I've heard
JennybugJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote