Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #1 
ChibiShishou

Lightbulb ZooMed tank can it be used for Betta?

Hello everyone!
I have just been given a free ZooMed 10 gallon reptile tank. It housed my older sisters Tarantula. It is silicone sealed and does not have holes on the bottom or sides of the tank for water seepage. I have not been able to test it for water pressure or clean it.Since I just aquired it and did a bit of searching on the internet Ive come to numerous answers as to whether it is safe to make it into an aquarium. Or if I should just try to make some flowers in it.

Some people are saying that under any circumstances a reptile tank shouldn't be used because the glass is thinner.

While others are saying that they can be used just as long as they water test it and do the basic wash, small small bleach, wash, sun, sun , wash bleach et cetera.

Have any of you come a crossed this and used a tank like this? What is your opinion on trying out a tank like this for a fish?

Thank you very much for your advice and comments,

Alexis
ChibiShishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:07 AM   #2 
choob99

I don't know the specifics of why or any reasons but when you buy them new the labels say right on them that they are NOT water safe, again I have no idea why though
choob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:21 AM   #3 
Greylady

I wouldn't risk it. The glass is not meant to hold the pressure of water. It would be a shame if you came home to an exploded tank, dead fish and water all over the house. To me, it's just not worth the chance.
Greylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #4 
MSG

I posted the same question about the 20G ZooMed Tank.

I did compare the standard 20G long to the 20G ZooMed.

• They look identical, but the glass is definitely thinner.

I'm not sure if the ZM Company used the same silicone to seal the tank as the water based tanks.

• I know for sure the 20G ZooMed tank I have was used to house aquatic turtle. So the tank was half filled with water. How long it was used, I have NO idea.

Your decision, if you decide to use it clean & sanitize it thoroughly. 10 gallons is pretty small.

Keep us updated every month or two.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #5 
ChibiShishou

Well it wasn't new it was my older sisters and she peeled all the tags off. I was pretty bummed I couldn't find any information. I did notice while I was putting it in the car this morning that it was made by Aqueon and not Zoomed!!! She just had a Zoomed sticker on it! So Im thinking its actually an aquarium and NOT a reptile tank. Just to double check this Im doing a water test.
How did your tank turn out MSG? I was reading your thread earlier but I couldnt find the update XD.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #6 
MSG

Which tank? The ZooMed one?

I decided not to use that ZM 20G for a aquarium because the glass is half as thick on the sides.

Take a picture of the top of your tank.

If it's a reptile tank, it will have a screen type lid that slides into place.

My 20G ZooMed tank holds water FINE. Eventhough there's a sticker on the bottom that says DO NOT FILL WITH WATER.

If you're CERTAIN it's Aqueon, then it's a tank that's designed for FISH.

Just make sure you clean & sanitize it after you do the leak test.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:07 PM   #7 
ChibiShishou

Thats the interesting part. They didn't buy the lid with the tank, so they have a reptile top but it says aqueon in transparent lettering on the inside of the tank.

Tags
reptile tank reuse