Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #1 
katiemcginnis

Is my tank overstocked?

My tank is a 10 gallon divided tank.

I've had it set up for three months. When I checked the ammonia yesterday, I was stunned: it was yellow. I've never checked it before without it being green, even after full water changes. The PH, general hardness, KO3, etc, were perfect. Otherwise, temperature is at a constant 78 degrees, has an aquarium light eight hours a day, lots of places to hide, etc.

However, algae was beginning to build up all over my tank. I'd clean the tank and it'd be back the next day. So, I went out and bought a plecco and a dalmatian Molly. I also bought a Comet Goldish because I felt bad it was going to get eaten. (It has its separate 2.5 gallon tank with a flifter, and I'm totally looking forward into investing into a 50 gallon tank three years up the road; the lady told me they don't live more than a year.)

Anyway, is my tank overstocked? There's not much I can do, really, other than increase water changes, and monitor the ammonia/PH levels.

One side: Betta fish, Plecco (large), African dwarf frog. There's less on this side because it's also the side with the fliter.

Other other side: Betta fish, Molly, two neon tetra, small pladdy fish.

To be completely honest, the dwarf frog tends to slip between the divider and goes side to side. But I intend for him to be on the first side.
katiemcginnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Your tank is massively overstocked. If you keep that comet in a 2.5 gallon tank with plans to upgrade in 3 years it is going to be hideously stunted. They are really pond fish and have no place being in tanks under 100 gallons. While it's commendable you purchased him with good intentions unfortunately goldfish really have specific requirements that make them a less than ideal pet for those with limited resources or space.

Also goldfish can live well over 20 years if cared for correctly. They are more of a commitment than even a dog or cat because of this.

If you have a common pleco that will need a very large tank also as they can grow to over one foot in size and are huge waste producers. Even the smallest species of pleco generally require a minimum 10-15 gallon tank.

Your neon tetras need a bigger school (at least 6 fish) and they prefer much softer water than your molly or platy. Mollies are a brackish fish and should not be housed with bettas. Even platy fish prefer harder more alkaline water. Also mollies grow too big for a divided 10 gallon tank.

ADF need special care as they are slow feeders and in a tank with smaller, faster fish it might not be receiving adequate food.

In a 10 gallon tank, the most I would do would be 6 neon tetras and your betta. Your aquarium is not only massively overstocked but also has very poor stocking. I would look into rehoming some of your fish or purchasing some more tanks to provide the appropriate conditions for them.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #3 
craiger75

Oof! Oh yeah, I'd reorganize that asap. A 10g by itself with one betta and maybe up to two or three other critters might be okay, but with that divider I really dunno.

Why don't you see what you can find for a bigger aquarium on craigslist or get a couple more smaller ones?
craiger75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #4 
katiemcginnis

Oh noooo. D:

OK. So.

I guess this is one of the situations that isn't awesome.

I'm moving in fifteen days. So getting a new tank started now makes no sense.

So, if I wanted to put all of these fish together, what sort of tank size are we looking at?

I'm a student. So at present I really can't afford a 50-gallon tank for my baby goldfish. But I maybe could manage a 50-100 gallon tank for all of them, if I just purchased the tank 2nd hand and not the special stands.

Good grief, the lady at the store didn't have a clue of what she was talking about! My poor babies.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #5 
craiger75

Yeah, that does suck! If it's not too late, you might want to consider taking them back and "taking the haircut." I really dunno wat else to tell u katie. Like LBF said they all have different needs/requirements.... Sry about that.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #6 
katiemcginnis

I can't believe I'm asking this.

I'm a semi-intelligent person who's very determined and has an ACE hardware down the road.

How crazy would I be if I said, "I'd like to make my own fish tank." 100 gallons.

What sort of price would I be looking at?

The only offer I found on craigslist were for a 35 gallon tank. The others came with fish, mandatory.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Moving?
This is going to sound ridiculous but if you could get one of those cheap plastic kiddie pools for the Goldie that'd be amazing compared to anything else. Of course it'd be quite ridiculous looking and space consuming. While you're at it I'd put the pleco in there, they are poop machines as well so it'll be a job but it's better than him polluting a smaller tank.
30 gallons, buy 2 more mollies, 6 more neons, 2 more platies.. They are social fish and those numbers will give you minimum school sizes.. If you can I'd keep the 10 divided and have the boys separate, if not we can work something out I'm sure..
The goldfish can't live with everyone else because he'd eat them as soon as he was big enough.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #8 
craiger75

That sounds ... pretty crazy - lol! Maybe you could adopt some out or something. Best of luck either way!
Old 07-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #9 
katiemcginnis

Oh my God. An indoor pond. My apartment just got that much more awesome.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hah! Glad you like the idea!
Most people would freak at the thought of it!
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goldfish, overstocked, tankmates