Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2012, 12:28 AM   #1 
hannahluvsherbetta

Exclamation should i be worried??!!

I have a male CT betta and yo get it to eat you have to literary put the food right above him. And he is really thin. And he keeps searching for food at the bottom of his bowl and i keep trying to get him to eat. (I just got him yesterday) he also tried to eat a pebble. What should i do? Should i be worried? ?
hannahluvsherbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:33 AM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

It's pretty normal for a fish to not eat for around 1 week when it just arrived. Don't worry. And what do you mean thin? Like a soft curve or a hollow belly?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #3 
Greylady

I wouldn't worry unless he stops eating all together. It could be just because he's new and not accustomed to his surroundings yet. My betta is such a little pig, that he's so busy swimming back and forth across the front of the tank when he sees me walk up, that I have to stick the tip of my finger in the water to let him know where I'm going to drop the pellet otherwise he missess it completely and it eventually sinks. This way of feeding isn't so bad because the benefit is I watch him eat each pellet, I know exactly how much he's eating and I know there are no pellets rotting at the bottom and dirtying up the water :)

Oh, and he might not be "eating" the gravel as much as exploring his new surroundings... they can be very curious

Last edited by Greylady; 07-29-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Greylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #4 
hannahluvsherbetta

@lebronthebetta-it has a hollow belly

Last edited by hannahluvsherbetta; 07-29-2012 at 12:39 AM. Reason: i mest up
Old 07-29-2012, 12:40 AM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Hm... Like this one: http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?a...ictureid=24622 This is a normal good sized belly. Is it like that? Or even hollower?
Old 07-29-2012, 12:44 AM   #6 
hannahluvsherbetta

@lebronthebetta- its hollower
Old 07-29-2012, 12:52 AM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Oh boy. Can you post a picture? He MIGHT have internal parasites since that's known to cause weight loss. Is his poo white and stringy? If it is, he has that. Just try to feed him a pellet everyday and see how it goes. I don't know any other illness besides internal parasites that can cause weight loss except for TB. :(
Old 07-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #8 
hannahluvsherbetta

I dont have a camera but ill try to find a pic on thd internet that lookes like mine(size wise)
Old 07-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #9 
Greylady

you could read this... there are also some other threads on this forum addressing this issue. My betta is very thin also and practically see through, however he acts healthy, eats like a horse and has normal "poo" so that's just his makeup. As long as he doesn't act sick he's probably fine.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=99969

Last edited by Greylady; 07-29-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Greylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:11 AM   #10 
GrayL

My fish went into hiding for 4 days one time. Just leave it alone, it takes time for him to get acoustomed to his surroundings. I had a Baby do the same thing. The best thing to do is put food in like you usually do, and just leave him alone. Don't micromanage your fish, it stresses them out.
GrayL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish emergency, fish health