Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #1 
JessSH

Help! First baby betta!

I rescued a baby betta from PetCo because she/he was floating on its side & had serious stress stripes which are still there (I've only had her an hr or so). I've never had a baby before. How much do I feed her? Is it a girl or a boy? The lid said VT female, but when I bought, but then I realized it may be too young to tell. I have a 10 gallon divided in half & I wanted to put 2 females in there. I already have 1 girl ready to go & wanted to put this 1 in after quarantine. Help me please!
Attached Images

JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #2 
Kenny G

I would feed her 2 micro pellets a day to start. One in the morning and one in the evening. For now since she is already stressed just make her as comfortable as possible in the QT with silk or real plants and plenty of hiding spots. Keep her warm and under dim lights. I am not sure how big your QT is but do daily water changes of 30%. I would not use a filter yet. The filter current may be a bit to much for her now since she is so stressed. Hopefully day by day she will get stronger and stronger. I can't tell if she is a he. Maybe someone else in this forum can tell you otherwise.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

A baby betta needs to be kept warm and in clean water. I would feed frozen brine shrimp and Hikari first bites. I would feed 3 times a day.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:01 AM   #4 
choob99

Hikari first bites is a good choice since she is so small, and I agree, needs to be nice and warm and needs plenty of hiding spots
choob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:05 AM   #5 
JessSH

Ok, I will definitely pick up some smaller pellets tomorrow. In the meantime, until I determine the sex would it be ok to put it in the other half of my divided tank? It would have the heater on its side & the filter is on Siren's side to prevent any problems.
JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:07 AM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Babies tend to need warmer water than normal so I suggest 82F. :) Feed frozen foods is possible. First Bites by Hikari are good. Regarding her/his size. :3 You can't tell if it's a girl or a boy or even the tail type when it's a baby. Just too young. Oh, and once she gets used to it's new home and never loses its stripes without reason, it's normal. They have those stripes for camouflage.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #7 
GrayL

I did the same thing, I kept mine in a 1/2 gallon for about two weeks, then moved him into a 10 by himself. I fed him a few micro pellets throughout the day. I'd like to point out that you don't want to mess with the fish too much, as it already looks very stressed out. The best thing to do is put it in half or a fourth of that 10, or buy a 2.5/5 for herself. They're relatively cheap. Buy a small heater, feed him first bites, or any small food you can. You can crush up food if you want, it'll do her fine. Make sure theres an pot or something it can hide under, as they like to hide. Plants are nice too, more hiding places. Make sure she feels safe, crush up any floating pellets you have, or use small ones. Also, it takes about a week for a fish to get used to its enviorment, so if the fish wont eat from the top, don't be alarmed. I've been through the same thing, any my guy is surviving and thriving. PM me for any questions you may have.
GrayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:03 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

If the QT tank is not heated, you can tape the cup inside the bigger tank, that the baby keeps warm untill its ready to come out of quarentine. If you have a floating plant, I would add it in the cup to help the betta feel secure.

I feed my baby hiraki first bites. you may be able to get away with crushing up larger pellets, depending on how small the betta is.

some people say not to put males and females in a divided tank but I have before. I had 2 males on the end and a female in the middle - never really had a problem. Although you may want to have a cover
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:41 AM   #9 
Kenny G

I would hold off on putting her in the divided tank. Especially if she is going to see other tank mates who may be very active. You already mentioned she is very stressed. I would keep her in the QT for now until she is calm and stronger.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #10 
Kess

I find the best way to tell if a betta is male or female is to look at its belly. Females will have a white spot, their ovipositor. Because she is so young, I am not sure if she will have it though...
Kess is offline   Reply With Quote