What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80-81F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet
How often do you feed your betta fish? We try twice a day, 1 pellet at a time. No such luck, hasn't eaten in a week (approx.)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2x per week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% & 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat/Jungle Start Right and today I added Fungus Guard

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5.0ppm
pH: 7.6
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Coloring wise, no but he is clamped although that hasn't changed since he got home.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic, inactive, uninterested in food but again, it hasn't changed since it got home.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A little over a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Fungus Guard (says to help clamped fins) Stress Coat and I tried aquarium salt for 2 days or so but quit because I didn't see any difference.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? N/A
How old is your fish (approximately)? N/A

Jonah is breaking my heart. I have no idea what to do. He's been like this for approximately one week give or take a day. He is constantly clamped, turns his nose up to food, and hides in his plants very close to the surface. Someone suggested he has TB which is contagious to humans now I'm terrified to get even near him for obvious reasons, but I did clean his tank today and washed my hands thoroughly when I was done. What should I do? I know the pH of my water is high, but he's acclimated every time I change water, even when I do 50% changes. Help?

LizzyP
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #2 
cjayBetta

Id upgrade him to a 2g tank (as 1g is a little small) with a filter and heater and he should perk up in no time.

Worst case go to a store and buy some aquarium salt and 1tsp per gallon and do a 10 day treatment with 100% waterchanges every day.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #3 
LizzyP

He has a heater, why would he need a filter? I tried aquarium salt and it really didn't seem to make a difference but maybe I didn't do it long enough.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #4 
toad

You don't need a filter. I've yet to need one with the 3 tanks I have bettas in.

Did you just get him? I just rescued a little boy named Percy, 2 weeks ago tomorrow. Percy only just started eating and unclamping his fins a couple of days ago. If your guy is new, just give him more time. If he's not showing any obvious signs of illness, there's no reason to treat him. Aquarium salt can cause kidney damage (so I've heard) if used for too long; no need to expose him to it if he's just being shy...

I also don't think your tank size is to blame.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #5 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
You don't need a filter. I've yet to need one with the 3 tanks I have bettas in.

Did you just get him? I just rescued a little boy named Percy, 2 weeks ago tomorrow. Percy only just started eating and unclamping his fins a couple of days ago. If your guy is new, just give him more time. If he's not showing any obvious signs of illness, there's no reason to treat him. Aquarium salt can cause kidney damage (so I've heard) if used for too long; no need to expose him to it if he's just being shy...

I also don't think your tank size is to blame.
+1 I so agree...My Beau took two weeks to unclamp and start eating etc.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #6 
Laki

1g is fine with the water changes your doing. Filter isn't really required either since you're cleaning it twice a week! (No offence to cjay, just everybody has methods that work for them)
What does his poop look like?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #7 
LizzyP

Well, that's the thing. He isn't eating so I'm not seeing any poop. Although when I got him it looks normal but it could've changed since then. Next water change should I try epsom salt treatment? I'm in the process of moving back home so daily water changes won't be hard.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #8 
cjayBetta

hense why I said - and I quote - "I'D upgrade him...." - I feel they do better and get sick less often. CoCo has been with me for almost 2 yrs with little to no sickness sitting in a filtered heated 5g
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote