Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2012, 01:47 PM   #1 
omgitsbleigh

Feeding Question

Okay, so I know if I looked hard enough I would find the answer to this...
But I'm getting really impatient/worried.

I got Ember on Tuesday. It's Friday now and he has eaten ONE pellet but refuses everything else. -___-

I am a first time Betta (and fish for that matter..) owner and I'm freaking out like I did as a first time mom!

Also, he has this bulge in the lower part of his tail (before the fin starts), what could that be?

I have gotten a different type of pellet, but he refuses that too. -__-

What should I do??
Thanks in advance!
omgitsbleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

One pellet a day is okay but freeze dried and live food gets them interested how big is the tank also is there a plastic plant they are bad what is the temperature.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #3 
omgitsbleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
One pellet a day is okay but freeze dried and live food gets them interested how big is the tank also is there a plastic plant they are bad what is the temperature.

I tried giving him freeze dried blood worms, and he wanted nothing to do with it. -__-
The tank is a 10 gallon.
Yes, there are plastic plants, but they are smoothed out and he swims in and out of his plants all day.
The temperature is 78 degrees.
He swims around and moves all day. He just doesn't eat. :( And the bump at the back of his tail, which I don't know what it is..
Old 08-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsbleigh View Post
I tried giving him freeze dried blood worms, and he wanted nothing to do with it. -__-
The tank is a 10 gallon.
Yes, there are plastic plants, but they are smoothed out and he swims in and out of his plants all day.
The temperature is 78 degrees.
He swims around and moves all day. He just doesn't eat. :( And the bump at the back of his tail, which I don't know what it is..
As long as he eats a pellet a day he is okay is it filtered if he is stressed but likely he still adjusting to a good life and envirement buy what the place you got it from he may be picky.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #5 
PaintedOaksOki

The bump I believe is just a muscle, that's what I was told when I first got my first betta! My betta, Oki had a large bump near his tail on either side, I mean it wasn't MASSIVE but it was large enough to make me worry at first. My boy Tug has the same bumps, but Strausse doesn't have that.
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

My fish has the bump to.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #7 
omgitsbleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
As long as he eats a pellet a day he is okay is it filtered if he is stressed but likely he still adjusting to a good life and envirement buy what the place you got it from he may be picky.
Thats the thing, he's eaten ONE pellet since Tuesday -__-
I was thinking about calling the place and asking what they fed him and see if that works...
Yes the tank is filtered and he doesn't seem stressed, although what are the exact signs of stress?
Old 09-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #8 
teeneythebetta

What brand of pellets have you tried?
Which pellet did he eat?
Have you tried flakes? I don't reccomend flakes but some bettas are picky and will only eat flakes.

Try putting a pellet in garlic juice, it might entice him to eat.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #9 
Gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsbleigh View Post
Thats the thing, he's eaten ONE pellet since Tuesday -__-
I was thinking about calling the place and asking what they fed him and see if that works...
Yes the tank is filtered and he doesn't seem stressed, although what are the exact signs of stress?
Thats not a bad idea. He's likely grown accustomed to eating what he was fed at the pet store, which is likely just one, low cost item. It might take some time for him to try something new.

I just tried to feed a blood worm to my new betta this morning, and he wants nothing to do with it. I eventually took it out and carefully placed a few floating pellets in a corner, and he quickly devoured them all.

I'm no expert, but I believe you can identify stress through discoloration, heavy breathing and strange "depressed" behavior.
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #10 
omgitsbleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
What brand of pellets have you tried?
Which pellet did he eat?
Have you tried flakes? I don't reccomend flakes but some bettas are picky and will only eat flakes.

Try putting a pellet in garlic juice, it might entice him to eat.
The first one that I tried was just a generic "Betta Fish" pellet from walmart (comes in a small square package and you slide the thing to dispense the pellet). That's the one that he ate one of, but he won't eat them again.
Another one I tried was the Tetra Betta pellets, he won't even touch those.
And yes, I did try Tetra Tropical Fish flakes (they were a free sample from my tank purchase) and he didn't even look at those. -___-

Garlic juice? Like take a thing of garlic and squash it and soak the pellet?