Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #11 
gn3ranger

That's your call I'm letting my old rat live out her days alone since I've tried cage mates with her and she attacks them right away, but if your rat actually gets along with the young energetic ones I see no problem with that.
gn3ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #12 
gossipgirl1031

Definitely not the younger ones! WAY too much for Allie. She's so timid and shy. They would stress her way too much. The older female in with the 2 youngsters looked pretty calm. She was almost twice their size. I do think I'll keep Allie alone. What if she up & goes & then I'm left with the same problem?
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #13 
gossipgirl1031

And school starts back up for me in a couple of weeks. May not have as much time to acclimate them. College keeps you hopping!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #14 
gn3ranger

I hope you find her a cage mate then :P One of the other reasons I'm not getting kamile a cage mate is ,because i can't stand seeing my pets die of old age.Its really fun to see them grow up from 2 months old to nearly 3 years old but Seeing them die makes me cry.

I cried so much when her old cage mates died especially the old guinea pig I bought from a garage sale died(also a cage mate of kamile). They all got along so well
*also note to anyone reading this to not cage your guinea pig with a rat*
Old 08-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #15 
gossipgirl1031

I'm working on getting my BSN right now. Eventually going on to be come either an NP or a PA. Classes start 2 weeks from today, maybe I should try & get that older female today & start the quarantine process? I'll feel worse when I'm not home as much with school (14 hours) and dance at least 4 days a week. And a vet check for both. This will be my 3rd trip to Petco in 3 days!

Love your profile pic-pretty rat! That's pretty incredible that they all got on so well! I still miss little Aimee & so does Allie. The price we pay for love. When my cat that I've raised from a kitten (he's 12) passes, I'll be devastated. Jack is my "son".
Old 08-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #16 
gn3ranger

Yes I'd look for a older female too and start the process Females aren't as territorial as males so it shouldn't be to hard to find the right one. I introduced my 2 rats On my bed and got them in the same cage within the day. Of course I had another cage ready in case they started to fight. When you do introduce them do it in a neutral spot or area none of them have been before. Also move the stuff in allies cage around when you decide they get along and you put them in her cage.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #17 
gossipgirl1031

I think I might go get that other female tomorrow after Allie's vet check. I want to make sure she's completely healthy before I introduce a new rat. If everything checks out, I'll go pick up Allie's new (hopefully) buddy. I'll need to buy a second smaller quarantine cage for this rat & also have the vet check her out.

You were lucky they took to each other right away! That's pretty cool! I'm hoping Al is ready to accept a new friend. I think being home will also help. I've been house sitting & she travels with me wherever I go. 2 different homes in 3 weeks. No more for awhile now that school will be starting back up. I'll try and get some pics up soon.

Thanks for all the help & advice :)
Old 08-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #18 
gn3ranger

Well hopefully allie takes a liking to the new roomie or the roomie takes a liking to her right away, Because when they do not get along Oh man it's scary.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #19 
gossipgirl1031

No new friend yet. I couldn't believe when I went back yesterday that the older female rat was gone. I guess the matching up process continues. Got good news from the vet that Allie is healthy though :)

I've heard about rat fights & they don't sound good. Even when they're buddies, they can still squabble a bit. I can only imagine what it sounds like when they don't like one another.

I'll keep you posted on the new roomie situation. I've got one other Petco in the area that sells the older females. May try to check it out tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:10 AM   #20 
gn3ranger

So did you have any luck with the new cage mate?