Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #1 
ChardFish

Unhappy Tumor, or??? Opinions please.

Hello folks! I was hoping to get some input regarding my male plakat. A few weeks ago I noticed a small white bulge peaking out from under one of his scales on his side. Now, though, its bulging out more as if it were growing larger. I cannot find anything online that looks like this spot looks. Its not ick- its very smooth and white, but the ick treatments have done nothing and it continues to grow. It looks like a smooth white bubble, as if he were blowing a bubble from under one scale. It is still quite small, but obviously growing. It has not spread, and it is definitely not a swim bladder/bloat issue. he is acting normally in every other way. I will try to get pictures up, but my computer isnt seeing my camera for some reason today.

Housing

What size is your tank? One-gal hospital tank right now
What temperature is your tank? 84-87
Does your tank have a filter? No, daily water changes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Not currently
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari pelets, FD bloodworns
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice daily, he still eats like a champ, too.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 75-100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner, vitamin/appetite drops

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Do not test

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No change except a white bulge growing out from under a scale on his right side about halfway between his pectorals and his caudal fin

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No change
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a month ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Copper Sulphate, temperature (the standard for ick, right)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? About 1 year old

Last edited by ChardFish; 07-29-2012 at 08:46 AM.
ChardFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #2 
lvandert

oh its called Lymphocystis. "For now, keep his water clean with water changes of 2 50% and 1 100% per week while he is healing. There is no medication to treat and deal with this, just clean water and time. Normally this isn't dangerous to fish." This is all from the user Myates. Not my information, but it all sounds right. I had to search for the thread I had saw this in and then find the post lol. I didn't remember how to spell it or what the cure was
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #3 
ChardFish

Thank you so much! He seems to be acting normally and not in pain at all.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #4 
lvandert

yeah it doesn't seem to cause issues until its way too big. I've seen some pretty bad cases though :(
Old 07-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #5 
ChardFish

Well, I did some research and this is not the same thing (thankfully...I hope). This is a snow-white bulge, and smooth, like bubblegum bubbles. One of his scales stands up, and its peeking out from under it, like his stuffing is coming out, but he is full of marshmallow. REALLY wishing my camera was working... I can text a photo to someone, then they could post it... I promise not to save the number or stalk anyone! Or PM me, and I will send you mine :)
Old 07-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #6 
lvandert

Thats what that is. There isn't anything else that is like that. it is lymphocystis, thats what it looks like when it starts.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #7 
ChardFish

Quote:
Thats what that is. There isn't anything else that is like that. it is lymphocystis, thats what it looks like when it starts.
Yeah, I think now that you are correct. I looked very closely last night and its not as smooth any more, like there is another darker bump growing on the first. Still doesn't seem to be bothering him... but it bothers my poor hubby, thats the one out of 20 thats "his". So I will keep on keeping his water clean, discontinue the Copper Sulphate, and feed him good stuff. :) Thank you for your help!

Last edited by ChardFish; 07-30-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #8 
lvandert

yeah not a problem.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #9 
Myates

Make sure you clean all your fish items (nets, cups, etc) really well with very hot water to make sure he doesn't get reinfested, or you don't infest another as lymph is highly contagious.

It normally will clear up on it's own with clean water.. keep an eye on it as they tend to "pop" (think like popping a zit) and that is when you want to make sure you clean the tank right away to get him out of it- use a net to scoop him into the clean water, don't let old get into new water. If it gets worse, or he starts acting ill, then let us know.. but for now, I would do minimum of the water changes as mentioned above, and can even add in another 50% to make it a bit more sterile for him. Make sure his hospital tank is comfortable for him- fake plants, cave, whatever he likes.. as this can take weeks to clear up :(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #10 
ChardFish

Well, he seems the same in every way, but the mass has ruptured and shrunk. I still have him separated, in hospital water, and I have disinfected his old home (in fact, its occupied now. I "accidently" won a giant HMPK on AB.. I meant to bid, but I got him for six bucks.... I seriously expected to be outbid!). He seems to be mostly healed now, but he is still in medicated water to avoid the secondary infections. in fact, I decided he could probably go back into normal clear water any day now. I will be doing water today, so probably then. Thank you for all your responses, I just wonder if he is one I
should avoid breeding? Or is he only contagious when it ruptures, like when humans have the shingles? Its also the herpes virus, I read.