I'm not sure if you can blame the people who work at the fish place. I think most of these fish were probably sick from wherever they were shipped from.
- Luckily for me all 9 of my female bettas were just STRESSED, but I made sure to check every betta they had and very few maybe 2 out of the shipment might have been sick, but not from dropsy.
- My biggest problem I've had with my girls is trying to get them to get along with one another. They love to harass one another.
- I definitely don't spoil them other than trying to fatten them up a little if they're looking thin in the beginning.
- Also I haven't even used a heater for them because their tanks are always steady at 78-85 degrees.
I even went to PS yesterday during the HUGE 3 hour rainstorm & looked through their selection & nothing caught my eye. Most of the bettas had clean cups, some had clamped fins, but 6 were actively exploring their cups, staring at me & doing handstands.
- Also if you did buy Tiny from Petsmart, you could bring her back for store credit if you bring a sample of the water. They have a 15 day guarantee but I've NEVER had to use it.
Please be more cautious if you plan on getting another one from the stores. Walk away if the fish look ill or don't grab your attention.
That's how I ended up getting bettas in the first place.
I'm 90% sure if I had chosen the bettas you did I would have lost all of them as well.
At least you still have Teeney & she looks really happy & healthy.