Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #1 
bhali333

they show all signs but will not spawn

Hi Guy's,

I decided to go with the original pair I picked. They are conditioned the tank was ready I went through all steps correctly and the male had his nest built and the female showed signs of being ready so I removed the female from her container and let her into the tank with the male.

He chased her for a bit, she went under the nest and checked it out, she swam away and he followed after about an hour or so he would go up to her and flare and wiggle and lead her back to the nest, they would rub against each other and then the female would swim away.

Now the male is hanging by the nest and the female is at the other end of the tank, the male will make a feeble attempt to attract her every once in a while and she will follow back to the nest and then swim off.

It has been about 4 hours and no attempt at actual spawning. How long do I wait before packing it in and deciding they will not spawn??
bhali333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #2 
lvandert

It sounds like she's just not ready yet. She should be super chunky with eggs at this point. I would keep an eye on them. if their not being aggressive I'd say leave them in there but if he or she starts to get nippy put her back in the container.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

How long did you have her in the tank with the male before releasing from the container?
It can take a while for the female to let the male close enough... and sometimes is the male who doesn't want her near.
This can go on for hours but as long as you don't see high agression from either fish they will be ok.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #4 
bhali333

will they eventually spawn ??

They are showing all the signs and activities that they should be but the only thing they are not doing is spawning.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #5 
vilmarisv

It's possible. I've had fish together for 3 days before they spawned... just a matter of time.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

New/first time females may take up to 3 days. Sometimes much longer (1 week) if it's heavily planted. Give them time to do their thing.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #7 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhali333 View Post
will they eventually spawn ??

They are showing all the signs and activities that they should be but the only thing they are not doing is spawning.
If you could answer some of our questions we could help you. We can't tell you our opinions without knowing some basic things.

What size tank do you have them in? What do you have in the tank? What chemicals have you added to it? Whats the temp?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #8 
jeffegg2

Cool

Give them a lot more time... Longest I've waited is two days....but I've heard of longer. And don't stare, it is not polite! hehe. I think they are shy. Don't put the breeding tank/tub where people are a distraction. Every time he sees you he thinks it is feeding time.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:12 AM   #9 
choob99

Mine used to go in phases, seemed like if one pair wouldn't spawn none of them would! Then when one is ready to go they are all ready to go, drives you nuts sometimes! lol
choob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #10 
bhali333

lvandert here is the tank set up

I have a ten gallon tank filled to 4 inches of water,
a sponge filter (turned off), an adjustable submersible heater, live floating plants, an indian almond leave and half a styrofoam cup in one corner attached to the glass by tape.

Here is a pic of the tank
Name:  first-breeding-set-up.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  23.0 KB

The tank was set up and let run for a week before introducing the male, left him in one day and then put the female in a glass chimney about 3 inches from the cup.

The male blew his nest the day I put the female in, they were together the whole day around 12 hours but did not spawn.