Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #1 
kjwarren103

How often should I clean my tank?

How often should I change the water in my 1.5 gallon tank?
kjwarren103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #2 
Kenny G

That all depends on if its filtered or not. When I had a Tetra 1.5 gallon filtered tank I changed 50% ever week and 100% once a month. I had the whisper 3I filter which always keep my water super clean. But I'm sure some in this forum will say 2 times a week 30% and 100% twice a week. It's always a personal preference depending on how much you feed your fish, and how dirty your water is.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #3 
kjwarren103

Okay thank you. I've seen different answers onthe internet so I wanted to check with people...... The waters getting kind of dirty and I know I need to change it, but my betta Spidey has been working really hard on a bubble nest lol. I hate to mess it up
kjwarren103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #4 
Kenny G

Bubble nests are a good sign that he is healthy and happy. If you see dirty water change it. Don't worry your betta will always build another bubble nest.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Bubblenests do not mean he's happy. It just means he's ready to breed. :) It's an instinct Bettas do, too!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #6 
craiger75

Hahaha, yeah it has some variables: tank size, filtered or non-filtered, what else you've got in there, etc. I try to get after mine weekly ... more, if i've screwed something up!
craiger75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #7 
LionCalie

Note: this only applies to tanks that are NOT filtered/cycled or naturally planted

I do 100% water changes. In a tank 1.5 gallons in size I would be completely changing out the water and thoroughly rinsing the substrate every 2 - 3 days.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Having water that looks dirty means nothing. Ammonia and nitrite are both invisible and capable of killing your fish in only very small amounts.

I always advise people with smaller tanks to purchase a liquid test kit for ammonia so that they can actually see for themselves whether the water needs changing or not.

Bubblenests do not necessarily mean a betta is healthy or happy. It is purely instinctual, and should not really be used as an indicator as to the quality of your water.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #9 
kfryman

I would say with a filter, 3 50% a week. As LBF said, ammonia and nitrite can kill a fish with a small amount, you want as little as possible, so that means more water changes in a small tank.

A bubblenest was thought that it meant they are happy, but it is really them marking their territory, it can also mean they are ready to breed (You dont need to breed them as only having a female nearby will get him into a breeding mood).
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:46 AM   #10 
craiger75

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionCalie View Post
Note: this only applies to tanks that are NOT filtered/cycled or naturally planted

I do 100% water changes. In a tank 1.5 gallons in size I would be completely changing out the water and thoroughly rinsing the substrate every 2 - 3 days.
What's up with all the buzzkill about bubblenests?
craiger75 is offline   Reply With Quote