Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #1 
Ronbeast

Is this even a filter..?

Excuse my arrogance,

But...errmmmm... I don't know if the "filter" in my tank is actually a filter, or if it just blows bubbles...?

The model I'm using is : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Aqaurium-AC-2...ht_2573wt_1139 *Mine is a similar model that is designed for a 5 Gal. or smaller tank, but has the same basic construction*

Minus the extra elbows and such for the outlet. So, I don't know if it's just me being dense or if it's actually just there to blow bubbles.

Maybe I have it setup wrong? I didn't know what to do with the little piece of tubing that came with the filter, I think it is supposed to be attached to the outlet on this contraption, but I didn't know what to do with it afterwards, so I just left it dangling outside of the tank.

The instructions for setting this thing up were pretty vague, and a lot of the stuff was written in chinese, which I cannot read. So, can somebody please offer some help. I just want to make sure I'm getting the most out of this thing...

-Ron
Ronbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #2 
Alcemistnv

I have the tubing connected to the filter and then to the pump...

Are you using all the pieces?
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #3 
Ronbeast

Yes, I've used every piece that came with the kit. Maybe there is something that I am missing that wasn't included?
Old 08-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #4 
Pilot00

Can you post a pic on how you assembled it?
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #5 
Ronbeast

^ sure,

I'll try and get a pic right now

Sorry about the crappy quality. I cannot find my camera right now... But, in all of the pictures I've seen of this filter system, they appear to be hooked up similarly (?) In my pictures, the piece of tubing comes up out of the water and is dangled out over the side. I just figured that was meant for venting gas created by the bacteria..? but I'm probably not right about that.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:46 AM   #6 
goldfishyman

Looks like you got a mini powerhead attached to a sponge filter. The tube connects to the little connector near the output to draw air into the water and create bubbles. It uses the venturi effect to suck air into the water stream. Venturi effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

You have great eye, Gman. I can't figure what's up from those pictures. If it's as you describe, the Hagen Mini Elite has that feature. It's great for oxygenating the nitrifying bacteria.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote