Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2012, 10:10 PM   #11 
nekura

Thanks for the response =)

The danios have never messed with the bettas to my knowledge. It is a very heavily planted tank. I use liquid testing kits from API. None of the other fish are showing signs of anything, though there was on that looked 'bloated' but pooped normally and the conclusions was that she had eggs since she never seemed sick. The sick betta in questions had clear, stringy whitish poop always hanging out of her but that seems to be getting better after medicated food with metrodanzole. She's currently in a partially filled 4 gallon QT tank next to my monitor with an airstone. The temp stays at around 82 this time of year but I do have another heater if the QT needs it. I put some aquarium salt, 1 tsp per gallon in there with her.

She is no longer clamping her fins and did eat a pellet (but didn't seem happy about it). so symptoms are now missing tail and that odd shiny stuff on her fins. She's eaten brine shrimp eagerly through all this. Even if I don't treat specifically for this shiny coating on her tail and dorsal fin-- do you have any idea what it is for future reference?

And out of curiosity do you know how dangerous using the saltwater version of maracyn would be to freshwater fish (again, for future reference since she does seem to be doing better now)?

Thanks again =) I do like the cup idea.
nekura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #12 
Oldfishlady

I personally don't use or recommend the antibiotic-I am not critical of those that do...Its a personal choice and so I can't help in regards to the differences between the two...You might ask Sakura another moderator-she might know-but what you could do is see if you can find the ingredients with amounts to compare the two...just an idea.....

As for the shiny area on the tail-its hard to say without a good pic

What I would do for her now that you have her in a QT-make 50% every other day water changes using some premix treatment water for the next 10 days-Offer a more varied diet-If you have access to mosquito larva offer several rinsed a couple of times a day.

Premixed treatment water-using a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water add-Aquarium salt 2tsp/gal and a tannin source if you have one-either IAL (1lrg crushed/gal) or dried Oak leaf (20 crushed/gal)-Let this steep for 30min to allow the tannin to start to release and salt to dissolve-Shake well before use.

Using this premixed treatment water make 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today-This will get her acclimated to the new chemistry and start the 10 day treatment.

Tomorrow start 50% WC every other day using the premixed treatment water to complete the 10 day treatment-Then re-acclimate back to the fresh water with small water changes using fresh dechlorinated water over another 5 days. This is to give her a 2 week period out of the main tank.

Since you have a heavy planted tank that is most likely why you are not showing nitrate that we normally will see to tell us the nitrogen cycle stage/completeness-Not uncommon to not have nitrate with plants for a long time if ever.

Keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #13 
nekura

Oak leaf from a regular oak tree? I have a mid-sized one in my yard, but I have no access to anything pre-dried.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

I collect and use Oak leaves that have naturally dried and fallen from the tree. In my area that is year around-especially in this drought we are having right now...lol.....
You just want to avoid green leaves- more because of the limited tannins.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #15 
nekura

Ok thanks =)