Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #1 
AquaKai

Just Bad Luck?

Maybe it is just me, but I've always had the worst of luck with HMs. I have had a grand total of two of them, and they've both been tail biters. I saw a gorgeous one on AB and I'm really tempted to get him. I just need a little reassurance that all of them aren't tail biters. And yes I've tried almost everything in the book with trying to stop them.

Am I just being paranoid? Or are HMs really just that bad?
AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #2 
ukandy

Hi its down to the bettas individual personality. My old crowntail was a terror for it. A quiet tank with IAL for a while seems to help some.
ukandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #3 
ukandy

My HM hasn't shown any signs as of yet. i hope he doesn't as its so frustrating and worrying.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #4 
AquaKai

That's good that yours doesn't bite it's tail. It gives me some hope back to the HMs
Old 07-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #5 
kfryman

With most long finned bettas if you have like any current, they will most likely tail bite as it is hard for them to swim and they will get tired. I suggest the TOM internal filter for this as you can direct the flow and it comes with a spray bar which diffuses the water more, on top of that it has adjustable flow as well.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #6 
AquaKai

Ok, I just have small internal filters that are powered by an air pump. I think that if I do get a HM betta then I'll do a sponge filter or something like that. But I'll try stopping the flow even more than what I have:) This is really making me feel more comfortable with getting a HM, so thanks a LOT kfryman!
Old 07-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #7 
BETTACHKALOVE

I have one out of 8 who is tail bitter. I just want to say do extra water changes. I do extra water changes and his tail heals pretty fast.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #8 
Shadyr

When he's in *his* home tank, my halfmoon is great.

I had to take him out for several weeks to treat him and it for an infestation of nematodes. By the time he was done with that and the buggies in his tank had been killed off, he'd nommed off about half the length of the top half of his tail.

Hasn't touched it since returning to his tank. It's growing back slowly, but he's got a wierd shaped tail atm!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #9 
ukandy

I have two small box filters that run from an airpump. I use the adjustable airline splitters to slow the filters even more. The current is nearly zero but still filtered and water quality has always been fine. The filters are a liitle slow to clear the water if i stir the sand though.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:32 AM   #10 
FireKidomaru

I think its all about the betta..I had a VT, Demyx, who would bite his tail off until it was about half the normal lenght then leave it and "trim" it when it got too long, he didnt like having the long tail, he only liked it when it was medium in length. Crazy right?? I think its just in your bettas personality..its frustrating I know
FireKidomaru is offline   Reply With Quote