Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #1 
TheCrabbyTabby

Betta Bachlor Pad Log

I decided that I should keep a log about my betta boy and his tank. Thought it might be nice to look back on someday or something else sentimental. Also a good way to keep me on track.

The tank is a 10 gallon with a hood containing two incandescent bulbs that came with it. The tank is planted, with java moss and java fern. It has a coconut half with a doorway cut out as a little cave. The tank is kept at 78 degrees, though now its maybe a degree or two warmer, what with the weather we're having, and its filtered using a Tetra Whisper 10i In Tank Power Filter. A little fast for a betta, but Gabe seems not to mind.

So onto a bit of exciting news!! Gabe was actually interested in his food today, which was Top Fin Tropical Fish Flakes. I like to keep his diet a little varied. It includes the afore mentioned flakes, Hikari Betta Bites, Hikari frozen blood worms, freeze dried blood worms and Hikari frozen brine shrimp.

Yeah, so like I said before, Gabe actually swam eagerly to the flakes and was chowing down like his old self. Maybe I shouldn't loose hope in his health after all. I saw a little of his old spark and now I am thinking of ways to get him tip top again.

The poor old man has a raggedy tail fin and is dull in color. I wonder if its fin rot, the arch nemesis of all betta, rearing its ugly head again? Perhaps a treatment of Maracyn II is in order. Still waiting on a reply to my thread in the emergency section to get answered.

Maybe I should test the parameters of the water while I wait?
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #2 
TheCrabbyTabby

Okay, this is an update. Gabe has since been moved to a smaller tank for treatment which consists of a teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon. He is in a 3 gallon tank which means 3 teaspoons of aquarium salt. I didn't add any decorations or anything. Its essentially a large critter keeper. I might go to Petco tomorrow and buy a small heater for him, and a thermometer to help me gauge the temperature of the water.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #3 
TheCrabbyTabby

Sadly, the old man didn't make the night. I guess the stress was too much for his old body.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #4 
TheCrabbyTabby

*sigh*

I know that this has absolutely nothing to do with the Betta Bachelor Pad, but it does have to do with fish.

The pump for the backyard pond has begun to fail. It works only part of the time and now has stopped working again. I guess we might have to go and get another one. The poor goldfish who live in the pond will have to do without pumped and circulated water for a few more hours until a trip to the store can be done. I feel bad for them.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #5 
bettalover2000

Sorry about your boy.
bettalover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #6 
TigerRegalia

I am so sorry about Gabe :( You should post a memorial about him in the Memorial forum on this site. He is swimming underneath the rainbow bridge now!
TigerRegalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #7 
TheCrabbyTabby

I have done just that. Thanks for your sympathies.

Still planning on going to Petco soon for another betta. This time a baby betta. Here's hoping that the little guy or gal will be a success!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #8 
TigerRegalia

Let us know how the baby betta is- I've been wondering how they are!
TigerRegalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #9 
Jayy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrabbyTabby View Post
I have done just that. Thanks for your sympathies.

Still planning on going to Petco soon for another betta. This time a baby betta. Here's hoping that the little guy or gal will be a success!
Sorry to hear about your betta, but I'm personally against the "baby bettas". Petco shouldn't be selling anything that young. The other bettas are months old themselves, so how old are the babies?
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #10 
TheCrabbyTabby

Yeah, its a low blow by them. Maybe they will stop selling them someday.

Anyways, I bought the baby betta home not too long ago this evening. I set up a breeder box for him/her and instead of the plastic plants provided with the box, I just scooped up some of the java moss and used that. I felt it would be much softer and whatnot.

I fed the little one after I had everything settled. I didn't know how to go about feeding him/her such small pellets so I used my wet pinky and dipped that into the little jar thing. I then stuck my pellet covered pinky in the water of the breeder box and he/she looked like they were eating it. I saw that there were far too many pellets so I scooped a lot of them out with my hand and tossed them in the rest of the tank for the MTS, if there are any left.

I named the little baby Squishy, after one of my favorite moments in Finding Nemo.