Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #1 
syds mom

2.5 gallon tank with glass lid question

I have this rectangular 2.5 tank I want to use for my quarantine tank instead of a 10 gal.
I bought a heater and a small filter for it. It has a glass lid which I dont want to use. Does anyone have any idea on how you can make a substitute lid for it. Also I need some sort of lighting. If anyone can recommend some sort of light,
I know a 10 gallon kit would be cheaper in the long run but Im running out of room.
syds mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #2 
SweetNightmare

Some craft mesh cut to size could do the trick if you don't like the glass, with some holes cut for wires. You could even put some binder edges on the sides like with dividers to make it stiffer and more lid like. For a light, you could get a large clip on reading light, as long as the clip wouldn't get in the water. There's also LED lights that can be placed on a lid or in the water.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...26amp%3B+Hoods
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:06 AM   #3 
choob99

what sort of heater did you get for the tank? I use a 2.5 for my medical tanks, but i have a terrible time finding heaters that are small enough to fit in it and when i do find them, they don't have an adjustable temp on them
choob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:20 AM   #4 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
I have that 2.5 rectangular tank that comes with a glass lid. I would make the top out of craft mesh too. I initially used something called "drawer liner" but it's perferated so it already has breathing holes. I got it at the dollar store. I don't have a photo of that tank but I used it for a bowl cover once. I think the craft mesh is the best idea though. As for lights, I use little submersible lights on suction cups from Petsmart, or a clip-on tank LED light I ordered online. I did get the actual light top that is made for that tank, and it kind of sucks. The hood is big, clamps onto the glass lid by way of a crappy stick-on attachment, and it's cumbersome and old-fashioned looking.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #5 
syds mom

bought that Tetra whisper heater 2-10 . No adjustable temp. Couldnt find anything else. The mesh idea sounds good. I checked out the light. Looks great for this.
I hope I have enough room for a betta after all this. I have some small plants for it.
I am going to have to quit going to pet stores. Every time I go I see a betta in need. I walk away , leave and for a few days I think (I wonder if that little thing is still there ) I go back after a week and hes still there! Dirty water and all. He comes home with me!!!
Old 07-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #6 
MSG

Post a picture of the tank.

If it's the same tank that sells for $15 @ PS.....

• Use jewel cases from your old CDs as a lid.
  • I found the CD Cases fit perfectly. Just make sure you clean them first

Let me know how it works
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #7 
TuckerLove

I recently got 3- 5.5gal tanks. I didnt like the glass lids, considering they are $9 a piece, so I made the lids out of Crafting mesh. To give the mesh support, I used fishing line and tied cooking sticks for kabobs on it..lol.
TuckerLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #8 
syds mom

here is the tank
Old 07-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #9 
syds mom

2nd try here is the tank

Last edited by syds mom; 03-21-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #10 
GrayL

Egg Crate. Look it up at Home Depot.
GrayL is offline   Reply With Quote