Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #1 
Bettagirl101

Wanting to get a 2.5 gallon fish tank but mom and dad won't let me. Help?

So my youngest male vt betta is in a 1 gallon fish tank. He has large marble gravel, and silk fake plant, and I recently put a cave in his tank. When I put the cave into his tank I realized it was much to small for him with the cave and plant. As I am only 15, my mom won't let me get a bigger fish tank for him because "he's just a fish. He doesn't need that much space to swim in." Now it's obvious she hasn't done her research on betta fish like I have. What can I do to let her get me a 2.5 gallon fish tank for him?
Bettagirl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:58 PM   #2 
cjconcepcion

well, a 1 gallon tank definitely isnt the ideal you could make it work, you should probably look into getting a heater as well if you dont already have one. whenever someone says "its just a fish" i say "well youre just a person", tell your mom that keeping a fish in a small bowl is the equivalent of keeping a human in a port a potty. in a 1 gallon you have to do 50% water changes every day, so he dosent die of ammonia poisoning

you can always ask for it as a christmas present or birthday present whatever comes next, but more important than the bigger tank is a heater so you can keep your betta nice and warm

Last edited by cjconcepcion; 07-30-2012 at 12:00 AM.
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #3 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettagirl101 View Post
So my youngest male vt betta is in a 1 gallon fish tank. He has large marble gravel, and silk fake plant, and I recently put a cave in his tank. When I put the cave into his tank I realized it was much to small for him with the cave and plant. As I am only 15, my mom won't let me get a bigger fish tank for him because "he's just a fish. He doesn't need that much space to swim in." Now it's obvious she hasn't done her research on betta fish like I have. What can I do to let her get me a 2.5 gallon fish tank for him?
Maybe pick a few of the information posts on here to show her? Broach the subject in a calm manner. I got a nice 2.5 at Pet Supplies plus for only $11.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #4 
DiiQue

I would also go the route of "Keeping this fish alive and happy helps me become a more responsible person and gives me a good foundation so I have a successful life". If she doesn't bite with this line, prove it further by telling her the truth - show her all the research you did, how more space is beneficial, etc., etc. Also look into the cost analysis of a purchase. Tell her a bigger tank pays for itself in that you do fewer water changes, so water costs go down over the life of the tank. Basically, prove to your parents you are in this for the long haul. If all else fails, ask to do more chores (i.e., get paid).
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:08 AM   #5 
BettaQi

I got my 2.5 on Craigslist used for $5
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:09 AM   #6 
BettaQi

Can you earn your tank by doing extra chores around the house or doing work for neighbors?

Babysitting?
Old 07-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Actually, you just have to do 1 50% and 1 100% per week. 1 gallons are unideal but you can make it work. Just tell your mom that the bigger tank the less you have to do, and more you can put in. Kritter Keepers are great for an upgrade! The biggest one is 6 gallons and it's probably $12.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:39 AM   #8 
Bettagirl101

Ok. I'll try all of these and if all else fails I'll use some of the money that I have earned pet sitting. I'll even try using the equivalent thing that CJ was talking about.
Bettagirl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #9 
cjconcepcion

before you do what i said try telling her that a bigger tank will give him an overall better quality of life. dont tell her "shes just a person" if she uses the "its just a fish" argument, that really wont get you anywhere closer to getting a bigger tank... im just a very confrontational person with my family
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #10 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettagirl101 View Post
Ok. I'll try all of these and if all else fails I'll use some of the money that I have earned pet sitting. I'll even try using the equivalent thing that CJ was talking about.
I think using your own money is probably the route that would be healthiest in the long term.

Tags
betta, bigger tank, male