Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #1 
bhali333

check out this girl she is ready to POP!

Hey guy's,

I'm going for my first spawn!! I put the male in the tank today and will introduce the female in her glass tube tomorrow. Hopefully he will build a nest and I can put them together because as you can see she is ready to POP!!!

Here are pics of the pair let me know what you think
Name:  blue-mustard-butterfly-HM.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  66.7 KB
Name:  red-cambodian-crown-tail-fe.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  27.5 KB
bhali333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #2 
tanseattle

I love the male and female (I wish she is platinum)
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #3 
Anitax3x

You are going to get a MESS in your F1 generation. Idk if I think spawning those two is a good idea.

You have what looks to be Crowntail female, and a delta or halfmoon male. The colors will be kind of odd and the fins will be really messy.

Just because she is "ready to pop" doesn't Mean you HAVE to breed her.

IMO this is not going to be a good idea.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

Agree with Anitax3x.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:04 AM   #5 
Curlyfatbottom

Your male have some eye catching color
But his body look a bit off
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #6 
bhali333

I was hoping for the fry to be different colors and the fins to be Delta and maybe some comb tail.

I do not have a crown tail male to put her with and it seems a shame to let what ever eggs she is carrying go to waste.

I have a couple of HMPK males but all other males are HM so what do you suggest?
Old 07-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #7 
Anitax3x

I suggest studying on breeding.

Don't worry. Her eggs wont go bad, she will absorb them or release and eat them.

Comb tail takes a couple generations and ALOT of culling. aka Alot of you dumping money into raising fry before you get ANY returns. I would love to take that on, but I am not that experienced yet. Personally if these are pet shop fish. Which I assume they are. Don't breed them. You have no idea what kind of genetic history they have. That's because the pet shops mass breed for numbers , kind of like puppy mills.

The fry would end up with nasty fins, color and form wise. you may end up with 500 babies that no one will take for free.

Research first, and you'll be able to make a more informed decision on breeding.

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/home.imp

http://bettatalk.com/

Go to those sites and learn as much as possible. Everyone of us had to do it It really will help!

Don't worry all females get eggy, it isnt a once in a blue moon thing and she will produce eggs all the time. Everytime a woman ovulates she doesn't NEED to reproduce if you get my drift
Old 07-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #8 
bhali333

Thanks Anita,

This is the kind of help I hoped I would get. I have very good fish that I purchased from Bettascapes and from Jennifer Vivieros. I have about 10 males and 4 females. I have been trying to do all the research I can on breeding and care and I am anxious to get started but I will do some more research on which fish I should try to put together and what the outcome will be, I do not just want baby bettas I want to improve the fish standard wise and hopefully develop my own line.

I was an angel fish breeder for many years and raised some outstanding fish but although I know the basic breeding principles of water quality and fry care are alike it's like starting all over again with a new species so back to the black board and I can make a better decision with what I have.

Thanks again for the help
Old 07-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #9 
Anitax3x

I'd like to try combtail as well! They are so beautiful!

What kind of line are you starting? Half moon? Double tail?

I wanted to have angel fish, they are gorgeous.

Keep us updated! I'd love to see what you're working on.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #10 
bhali333

I would ultimately like to produce a line of comb/rose tails I think the flowing fins with the ruffled edges would look really nice.

But that is just a vision I know it will take many generations and careful selection to achieve.