Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2012, 05:00 AM   #11 
ao
TFK Moderator

Thanks! I actually changed the layout before I abandoned this tank for 1.5months. I shall return tomorrow to witness the aftermath.....

And sand isnt hard :) place sand in a bucket and fill with the hose on high, so you have a tornado of sorts inside the bucket. this will stir up the lighter dustier particles. when you have enough water, immediately tilt the bucket gently and let the water out. the larger particles will instantly settle. these are the grains you want for your tank :).

sand packs tighter than gravel, and so debris will tend to rest ontop, rather than mixing with the sand. when cleaning, simply hoverr the siphon a distance from the surface of the sand and the gunk will be lifted from the sand surface :). I actually find it easier to clean sand :O

6.6g is a great tank! I wish I had the room for one D: I'm guessing that you dot have a filter running in the 2.5? other wise you can probably use the same filter to start the cycle in your 6.6 :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:31 AM   #12 
914joe

Thanks for the info on the sand ,i do not have a filter on the 2.5 .I have a whisper 10 air pump that i bought to make one of those biological filters called a moving bed that i have seen on youtube,i have only run it for 2 days so far ,i want to transfer this to my new tank in a couple of weeks to help get the cycle started .I wonder how long it will take for this filter to start to work and if its bad to use in such a small tank.
914joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #13 
ao
TFK Moderator

oO never heard of those, so I did some googling. anddddd they are hugggggeeeee.
Why don't you try the good old sponge filters?

Although I have to say my favorites are HOBs or those internal ones with an adjustable flow. You really don't need a giant thing to cycle a 6.6g tank with one betta =D your 6.6g already provides plenty of room of beneficial bacteria growth and just a small filter can nuke ammonia. I feel like using the moving bed is like using an atomic bomb to kill an ant XD

butbutbut, that said. i think you can make a moving bed filter realllly pretty if you change the container to one with a good shape (rather than a plastic bottle) and put colorful (transparent) media inside. it can be a really awesome aquarium centerpiece.

oohhhhh and even better if you have colored LED lights shining on it!

BETTA DISCO! lolol
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #14 
FishyFishy89

Do you want to cycle your tank?
I heard smaller tanks are harder to cycle. I've currently just established my 5.5 gallon. And I started it's cycle back in February.

Aokashi, that is an interesting idea. However, I think it would pull the attention away from the fish.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #15 
914joe

Yes i want to cycle my tank ,not the 2.5 the 6.6 ,wow i didn't know it took that long to cycle a tank , here is a pic of my new tank the one i want to cycle ,it is not setup,i just put it together to make sure the light works and to check for leaks, i have not checked the filter yet.I still have to get gravel and other things to get this started i am going to take my time as i am new to all this .One question when a tank is cycled does that eliminate the need to do a full water change.Also how do most you guys feel about Aquarium backing paper, for it or against it .
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #16 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by 914joe View Post
Yes i want to cycle my tank ,not the 2.5 the 6.6 ,wow i didn't know it took that long to cycle a tank , here is a pic of my new tank the one i want to cycle ,it is not setup,i just put it together to make sure the light works and to check for leaks, i have not checked the filter yet.I still have to get gravel and other things to get this started i am going to take my time as i am new to all this .One question when a tank is cycled does that eliminate the need to do a full water change.Also how do most you guys feel about Aquarium backing paper, for it or against it .
I perfer to not use aquarium back papers

you still have to do water changes when cycled. cycling depends on how many fish you have in your tank. Alot of users have best luck cycling with fish and live plants.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:51 PM   #17 
914joe

Does that mean full changes as well.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:23 AM   #18 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by 914joe View Post
Does that mean full changes as well.
I haven't done a full change in my 5.5
Then again I have TONS of plants in there. And plan to add even more plants. And my weekly water changes range up to 50%. BUT I also have a pleco in there and I'm trying my hardest to make sure ammonia doesn't get a chance to rise 1 digit.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:44 AM   #19 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Even a cycled tank needs a weekly change (30/50%) to remove DOCs (dissolved organic compounds) and replenish minerals. Only a full-on NPT (natural planted tank) requires no changes.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:52 AM   #20 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

NPTs require the same changes actually. Fish are releasing things other than ammonia that plant don't consume. I know some people don't do water changes but really it's for the best, so many things you can't measure..
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote