Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2012, 01:47 AM   #1 
Sprynkl

Spring Water Question

Hi!

I recently purchased my first beta fish, squishy. I bought a bunch of spring water gallons from market basket (North East supermarket chain). I just wanted to make sure that using this water was ok, and if I do if I should use water treatment?

I found their spring and its 'treatment process' and wanted to make sure it would be ok to use.
Here is their website stating what their process is: http://www.monadnockspring.com/faq.cfm

It states: "How is our water treated?
All spring water passes through activated charcoal and sediment filters. Then an ozonation process takes place to kill anypotential bacteria that could be present. The water is then stored in a stainless steel silo ready for bottling."

Thanks in advance for your help,
Sprynkl
Sprynkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:32 AM   #2 
deso

Hi there! What you need to do is call/email the company for a water analysis sheet. I couldn't find any links to this on their website, which is why I suggest you contact them directly. This will tell you the pH and give you the amounts of minerals in the water, which is far more important to know than their treating process. I also use bottled spring water for my betta because the tap water where I live is nearly unpotable (the brand I use is called Volvic, in case it may help you - it has the perfect stats to keep a betta in).

Don't forget that it is still important to use water conditioner, regardless of the fact that you aren't using tap water.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:53 AM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

I sometimes use spring water in time of emergency. no adverse effects :) as long as you acclimate him slowly to the new environment, he will settle in just fine.
and also as deso said, try to call the company for a nutrient analysis. So that if something does happen, you may be able to trace the cause back to the cause.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #4 
MSG

You can use spring water, but get some water conditioner.

It'll cost you less money in the long run.

Look at the bottles carefully before you choose one.

I saw a small bottle that can treat/condition up to 9,000 gallons of water for $10.

There was 10-15 options at the store I went to.

Make sure you understand the instructions on the bottle too.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #5 
Kenny G

For treating your water I would pick up Seachem Prime. It's perfect and best thing you can use plus a 8.5 fl. oz bottle will last you a long time. It cost 8.99 in Petco. Because it's concentrated you only need to add 2 drops per 1 US gallon of water.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #6 
deso

Oh, I forgot to mention that you should not switch brands on your betta. Pick one, preferably a brand that is easy to find in your town, and stick with it. The parameters greatly vary between brands of bottled water, and if you change suddenly (without the acclimation process that aokashi mentioned), it could cause your fish to go into shock and possibly die.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #7 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprynkl View Post
Hi!

I recently purchased my first beta fish, squishy. I bought a bunch of spring water gallons from market basket (North East supermarket chain). I just wanted to make sure that using this water was ok, and if I do if I should use water treatment?

I found their spring and its 'treatment process' and wanted to make sure it would be ok to use.
Here is their website stating what their process is: http://www.monadnockspring.com/faq.cfm

It states: "How is our water treated?
All spring water passes through activated charcoal and sediment filters. Then an ozonation process takes place to kill anypotential bacteria that could be present. The water is then stored in a stainless steel silo ready for bottling."

Thanks in advance for your help,
Sprynkl
Spring water is good, like tap water, since it has essential minerals in it (unlike distilled water) that are healthy for your betta. I used to always use Eldorado brand spring water for my fish, and it worked just fine. Just test it before and make sure everything looks okay such as the pH. However, I've since switched to mostly conditioned tap water (it's cheaper). I still put about a gallon of spring water in his tank along with the tap water though, just because I want him to be able to get used to the switch.
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #8 
Sprynkl

Thank you everyone for the help!

I emailed the company asking for their water analysis so hopefully they will respond. I'm going to grab some of the water treatment stuff from the store tomorrow.

Its fairly cheap spring water, $1 for 2 gallons so I might just stick with it unless they dont have the needed minerals. I'll post back the analysis sheet when they respond.

Again, thanks for the help, hoping to get my betta into his bigger 7 gal aquarium soon.
Sprynkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

Bottled water actually has less minerals than tap water. It's technically 2nd best. Tap water and conditioner is the best water for you and your Betta.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

oooh an maybe compare it to tap water? I'll try look for the NYC one.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote